PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

2003 PT Cruiser A/C problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Apr 2008, 04:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2003 PT Cruiser A/C problem

I am looking for some advice on a problem I am having with my AC. The other day, when I had the a/c on and my car kept trying to stall. The air stopped blowing cold and it was like it kept kicking on and off. Today I had it on and when I would throttle, it would let out this loud squeel and steam or smoke would come out from under the hood.

Someone said that it sounds like the AC compressor maybe seizing up. I know nothing about cars and went to the dealer the other night with my warranty and they wanted a $130 diagnostics without even know if my warranty would cover the problem.

I am just looking for opinions on what this may sound like. I want to call my warranty company.
Old 04 Apr 2008, 05:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 2003 PT Cruiser A/C problem

it does sound like a compressor problem. Is there any abnormal noises with the AC off?
and what type of warranty do you have? is it still factory or some aftermarket?
all they have to do and you can do yourself with the help of a friend in the car.
is look down from the top at the front of the engine with a flash light. not the easiest place to see but at ac compressor is lowest pully at the front.
the outer part will/should turn any time the motor is running and the center part will not move until the ac is turned on.
so once you see what pully you want to be looking at with the engine off first (safty please) then with your hands clear have your friend start the car and then turn on the ac. if the center part start turning without noise then the compressor is not siezed. if it doesn;t start turning and you can see the belt smokeing turn the ac off and look at having the compressor replaced.
this will be a costly repair sorry to say if your warranty doesn;t cover it.

hope that helps. if you don;t feel comfortable checking it phone around to a few shops explain your problem and get quotes.
Old 04 Apr 2008, 05:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

No there does not seem to be any problem when the a/c is off. I have an extended 72,000, High Tech with a $200 deductible. I do have someone who can check this for me. I know the $330 I will pay is probably better than what I would be paying if it is not covered under warranty. Thanks for the Tip!.
Old 04 Apr 2008, 06:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

yes $330 is a deal i have seen bills for ac system repairs in the $2000 plus range.
ac is nice to have when its working but not cheep to fix when it breaks, and unless your a mechanic at a shop with the tools you normaly have no choise but to take it to someone and bend over cause the bill is going to hurt
Old 04 Apr 2008, 06:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Post Re: 2003 PT Cruiser A/C problem

Yes it sounds like it. Keep my fingers crossed that my warranty will cover the probroblem I am having. Thanks again
Old 05 Apr 2008, 09:31 am
Obsessed Cruiser

i agree with compressor problem keep us posted !!
Old 08 Apr 2008, 11:18 am
Fresh Cruiser

Ok, I will keep you posted. I have not done anything this week with it yet, but will in the next couple days. I still need to get with my Warranty company, and my dad is also checking with a friend of his if I just bought the compressor he would replace it for me. So weighing out my options for now. Thanks again!
Old 17 Apr 2008, 05:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: 2003 PT Cruiser A/C problem

Hi,

My A/C is being fixed today. I am not good with cars. It was not the compressor. They said the cooling fan stopped working causing a blockage and the freon all leaked out. I think they are replacing the cooling fan and some other things. I don't know the exact details, I was just happy to hear it was under warranty and I only have to pay the $200 deductible. The diagnostics would have been $130. They did say something that this would effect the compressor if it had not been fixed. Good timing, I was getting a little cranky after this past hot weekend and not being able to run my a/c.

Well thanks for all your help and suggestions and help:

Old 24 Apr 2008, 09:30 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I don't buy it. Ask why the fan - which is electric - could cause a squeal and smoke - that sure sounds like the belt going to the A/C.
You MAY have more than one problem.
I wish you luck, but I'm skeptical...
'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 25 Apr 2008, 06:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I am having the same problem. See my one and only thread I have created.