PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Gas gauge not marking right

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Apr 2008, 12:47 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to outfit Send a message via Skype™ to outfit
Default Gas gauge not marking right

Okay here is the deal. My Gas Gauge is not marking right.. I will fill the vehical up ... and the gauge will mark around 3 quarters full.. Has anyone had this issue ??? So my question is WHY is it doing that.....??
1 -Hyper White 921 Superstar Bulbs from Autolumination
1 -Hyper White T10 Wedge 194 (Lic Pllate) Super White LED from Autolumination

Pioneer Head unit W/ HD & Satellite radio

2 - 7inch DVD/Headrests Monitors... dvd players built in the headrests
HID Lights 8000k 9006 for lows from xhidoutlet....
HID Slim 55w 6000K for high's from HIDGEEK.

Old 15 Apr 2008, 01:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Gas gauge not marking right

Are you sure? I can't fill up mine to the top and have the guage read FULL unless I stand there and keep filling the tank everytime the pump shuts off. If I stop filling when it automatically stops and even give it a couple more pumps, it will only read a tiny bit over 3/4. It usually happens at most gas stations, although some pumps will let me get a full tank.
Old 15 Apr 2008, 02:03 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to outfit Send a message via Skype™ to outfit

That may be true.. I'll have to do that next time I fill up.. Though this time I gave it a couple squeezes after it clicked... We shall see..
Thanks Crewzin
1 -Hyper White 921 Superstar Bulbs from Autolumination
1 -Hyper White T10 Wedge 194 (Lic Pllate) Super White LED from Autolumination

Pioneer Head unit W/ HD & Satellite radio

2 - 7inch DVD/Headrests Monitors... dvd players built in the headrests
HID Lights 8000k 9006 for lows from xhidoutlet....
HID Slim 55w 6000K for high's from HIDGEEK.

Old 15 Apr 2008, 07:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

There are people who claim they can't get there's to "F".
One thing that helps, don't put the "catch" on the handle at the highest flow setting - fill it slower. Takes a minute more, but you'll get more in.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 16 Apr 2008, 01:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

same with wifes pt and mine it stops and if you dont bump it a few times i call it a fake filled tank
Old 17 Apr 2008, 02:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Post Re: Gas gauge not marking right

My 2002 PT gas gauge always went right up to the F mark whether I was standing there pumping or if the pump shut off automatically. But about three months ago, it started stopping at the 3/4 mark. When I fill it up, and I know its filled due to the number of gallons I put in, it still only reads to the 3/4 mark. I just hit the tripometer and pay attention to the miles I travel after filling up because I dont know when the gauge is going to start messing up at the E mark!
Old 17 Apr 2008, 03:53 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ucantcme Send a message via MSN to ucantcme Send a message via Skype™ to ucantcme

To get my gas level on "F" I have to sit there and top it off atleast $2. When my fuel light comes on, I have a good 50-90 miles before I am on fumes. I've drove to my work, and back to my home (60mi trip) with my gas light on and I still drove around for the night without sputtering or anything.

300miles/tank is when I say "Time to get gas"

My Baby:
01' Taupe Limited PT Cruiser w/ rear spoiler, Drop in K&N Air Filter, Limo tint all around, blue neon interior, blue LED windshield nozzles,
In-dash CD/DVD/Radio made by Jensen, Vent Visors, Chrome Antenna Bezel, Chrome Grille inserts, Dual Catback Exhaust, Scan Gauge II,
back-up camera, and a system containing 2 Lanzar 15" subwoofers and an MA Audio 1800watt amplifier.

Check me out on Car Domain!
Old 17 Apr 2008, 05:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucantcme View Post
To get my gas level on "F" I have to sit there and top it off atleast $2. When my fuel light comes on, I have a good 50-90 miles before I am on fumes. I've drove to my work, and back to my home (60mi trip) with my gas light on and I still drove around for the night without sputtering or anything.

300miles/tank is when I say "Time to get gas"
Not a good practice, as the fuel pump is in the tank. IF the tank gets below 1/4 full the gasoline doesn't cool the fuel pump. If it continues to be ran like that, you will wind up parked, then having your car towed to the garage so it can be lifted, tank emptied, then dropped to have a new fuel pump replaced. Just a word to the wise.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 17 Apr 2008, 06:18 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ucantcme Send a message via MSN to ucantcme Send a message via Skype™ to ucantcme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Not a good practice, as the fuel pump is in the tank. IF the tank gets below 1/4 full the gasoline doesn't cool the fuel pump. If it continues to be ran like that, you will wind up parked, then having your car towed to the garage so it can be lifted, tank emptied, then dropped to have a new fuel pump replaced. Just a word to the wise.
Thanks...Was un-aware.

My Baby:
01' Taupe Limited PT Cruiser w/ rear spoiler, Drop in K&N Air Filter, Limo tint all around, blue neon interior, blue LED windshield nozzles,
In-dash CD/DVD/Radio made by Jensen, Vent Visors, Chrome Antenna Bezel, Chrome Grille inserts, Dual Catback Exhaust, Scan Gauge II,
back-up camera, and a system containing 2 Lanzar 15" subwoofers and an MA Audio 1800watt amplifier.

Check me out on Car Domain!
Old 17 Apr 2008, 06:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

According to a Master Mechanic on the forum, the gas not only cools but also lubricates the fuel pump.