Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Blowing Fuses

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Apr 2008, 06:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Blowing Fuses

CARTMAN Thanks for the response..Engine wiring harness has been repaired..Traced LB/WT wire from fuse panel fuse #11(ENG MOD/ABS-TRAC) to the PCM pin #20. With the connector disconnected and ignition key on LB/WT wire reading 12.5 volts and fuse is good. Also all connectors on engine disconnected. PCM connector plugged back in, battery connected and key turned on, the fuse blows. Could I have a bad PCM causing the fuse to blow??

Last edited by DragAsp; 16 Apr 2008 at 07:16 pm.
Old 16 Apr 2008, 10:43 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Blowing Fuses

that fuse also powers the fuel pump relay and the ABS controller. replace the fuse, and disconnect the abs controller connector and remove the fuel pump relay. if the fuse doesnt blow, put the relay back in. if it blows, the relay or the wiring harness for the relay is bad. if it doesnt blow, connect the abs controller. if it blows then, the abs controller may have an internal fault and may require replacement or its wiring harness is damaged. of course, if all that is disconnected, and just the PCM is connected, and the fuse blows, yeah id say its the PCM. but start with the cheap stuff first. also check to see if you have the correct fuse in that location, it should be a 10 amp. good luck.
Old 17 Apr 2008, 04:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Re: Blowing Fuses

Thanks, Checked - No ABS, pulled all the relays in the PDC, plugged connector into PCM, connected battery, key on, fuse blows... So, I'm assuming the PCM is bad. Also ohmed pin 20 in the PCM to the case, it's indicating grounded. Is there any way to check (continuity or otherwise) the engine wiring harness that would cause the PCM to short? Hate to put another PCM in and blow it too. Would a PCM connector pin diagram help to check each circuit in the engine harness? Just pulling straws right now,,,,
Old 19 Apr 2008, 01:17 am
Cool Cruiser

youve still got a damaged wire in there somewhere. pin 20 shouldnt be grounded. that direct short to ground would blow that fuse. that particular circuit goes all over the engine compartment from what i can tell.
Old 21 Apr 2008, 07:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Cartman

Chased a lot of wire last several days to no avail, I was about to give up and let a shop look at it until I disconnected the EVAP PURGE SOLENIOD. Hooked everything back up and tried the scanner,,,It got some codes..P0118 P0340. Missed the temperature sensor connection and swapped the cam position sensor. The motor finally started but only ran for 10 seconds. Acted like it was running out of fuel each time. Tomorrow I'll chase that...
Anyway what I wanted to say was ...THANKS for steering me in the right direction.
Old 21 Apr 2008, 11:33 pm
Cool Cruiser

no problem