Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
starting problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Apr 2008, 11:55 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default starting problem

my '02 Dream Cruiser has become a nightmare . The recurring problem is when I turn the ignition there is only a click , the engine does not even crank . The battery is okay but have replaced the starter 2x last 5 months and it still happens . Any suggestions appreciated .
Old 22 Apr 2008, 04:59 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: starting problem

Check the battery cables, ignition coil (power pak whatever it is).

Good Luck, let us know;
srg
Old 23 Apr 2008, 03:56 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to AlexJB

there was another thread here a week or so ago about a problem withthe battery cable to the starter, you should do some wiggling while somone holds the ignition in crank.

Also the old flat spot on the starter gear (or gear that the strter engages into) could cause this, put it in gear, bump it back and forward or bump start it if it's a manual, then key off and check again, chanses are the starter will be in a diferent position and may catch this time.
Old 23 Apr 2008, 04:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

thanks for your help , it's appreciated . When it happens again i'll have to try some of these ideas and then let you know.
Old 23 Apr 2008, 05:29 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

It's more than likely the battery cables have corroded. They are really sorry cables.
Old 28 Apr 2008, 11:02 am
Fresh Cruiser

I had the same problem on my PT and as others have stated it turned out to be the cable from the battery to the starter had gone bad. I replaced all battery cables and the car has been perfect since. Hope this helps.

2002 Inferno Red Limited Edition|K&N FIPK|Bassani Exhaust|17x7 Eagle Alloy Chrome 192 BFG KDW| 225/45/17|Progress Sway bars|Eibach Lowering Springs| Tokico Blues|Strut Tower Brace|Hood Struts|Color Matched Bezel|Lighted Entry Guards
Old 28 Apr 2008, 06:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome.
When you say the battery is okay - do you know that for a fact? Sear,KMart. etc. will test for free.
If you're handy and agile, measure the cable going to the starter and go to AutoZone, AdvanceAuto, etc., and look at battery cables - be sure and get the thickest or even use two, and replace what's there.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 09 Apr 2016, 04:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

My tery got hooked up backwards and now when you turn the key there is nothing.If you cross the strarter it turns over but no spark.Would you have any Ideas?
Old 09 Apr 2016, 04:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Battery was hooked up backwards
Old 09 Apr 2016, 04:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser45 View Post
Battery was hooked up backwards
I would suggest checking the fuses. Also check the starter relay. You may have damaged some electrical components or the PCM.

We need to know the year of the PT Cruiser before we can look at the wire diagram to see what fusible links might have been blown.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 09 Apr 2016 at 04:42 pm.