PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Really? A/C Compressor Stumble Is Normal?

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Mar 2015, 12:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Really? A/C Compressor Stumble Is Normal?

Thanks justbill1931! I live in MIAMI and havent had A/C since October (been hitting high 80s recently). Took your advice, got a quote from the Chrysler shop ($500) and then did it myself for $100...and today, first time driving with my windows up in months! Not only was your post helpful, but was honestly the best post I have ever read for being so detailed with your explanation. Joined the forum just to thank you!
Old 12 Mar 2017, 05:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

My 2002 has this cycling symptom though the fan is turning when the AC is on however it may not be on High, I haven't tried the driving test to see if the the AC works then, that's next though, then I'll order a fan and bloody my knuckles as with every other PT repair.
Thanks 🙏🏻
Old 12 Mar 2017, 05:31 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulPSPS View Post
My 2002 has this cycling symptom though the fan is turning when the AC is on however it may not be on High, I haven't tried the driving test to see if the the AC works then, that's next though, then I'll order a fan and bloody my knuckles as with every other PT repair.
Thanks 🙏🏻
Welcome to the forum

You should go to the New Members section and introduce yourself
PaulPSPS likes this.
Old 16 Aug 2020, 02:50 am
Fresh Cruiser

I know this post is 10 years old, but I was having the same compressor stuttering problems as justbill1931 was having so wanted to post my results.

I bought my 2008 PT used with 23k milse on it in 2009 and today, it has over 180k+ miles so it was time for a new radiator and fan assembly. And after installing the new radiator and fan assembly with new relays, the A/C compressor and A/C now works perfectly and no more compressor stuttering issues. I had to top off the A/C with some Freon but the A/C now blows COLD air, and also in these 100 degree temps we've been having in Virginia too!

As a footnote, I've replaced a lot in my PT over the years but since I paid cash for it, it's only cost me about $170 a year to maintain over the past 11 years; all new wheel bearings, twice with front tie rod assembly; thrice with motor mounts, new shocks, struts, timing belt, new TIPM control/fuse box (ouch, that was expensive), and even a steering wheel clock spring.

Most of the parts I purchased online from reputable suppliers, and then I had my locally-trusted mom-n-pop repair shop install the parts. But for $170 a year, this car is still doing well and knock wood to see if I reach 200,000 miles!

No wonder they rolled this thing out as a truck! But the 18-23 MPG still stinks for such a small car! My larger and heavier 2018 Equinox get better mileage! Go figure!

~ Frank
Old 10 Sep 2020, 07:42 pm
Young Cruiser

When the fans don't come on an excessive load is placed on the compressor and therefore the engine. Maybe an AC guy can say what's going on. It seems that the if the radiator fan is not on the hot freon gas in the condenser will not be turned into a liquid as it goes through the condenser and the pressure becomes too high.
Old 12 Sep 2020, 12:56 pm
Cool Cruiser

That sounds plausible. When my car started to stumble at a stop with the A/C on, turned out the high speed on the radiator fan went kaput. Installed a new Mopar fan and all was right with the world.
Prescott, Arizona, home of forested mountains, 5 lakes (well, four lakes and one big pond), and Arizona's Christmas City (my home 6,000 feet elevation) - 2005 Touring & 2002 Limited - both patriot blue & factory stock