Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Transmission Compatibility

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Apr 2008, 04:28 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Transmission Compatibility

I was wondering how well an SRT4 t850 transmission would bolt up to a PT engine. I currently have a 5 speed and it is dying so i was looking to upgrade. The only things I can think of are how well it will bolt to the engine and how well the linkage will hook up. I have heard that the SRT 850 and the stock 350 are able to bolt up to the same things from another member. I appreciate any help!
Old 24 Apr 2008, 04:45 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Transmission Compatibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTmodrod View Post
I was wondering how well an SRT4 t850 transmission would bolt up to a PT engine. I currently have a 5 speed and it is dying so i was looking to upgrade. The only things I can think of are how well it will bolt to the engine and how well the linkage will hook up. I have heard that the SRT 850 and the stock 350 are able to bolt up to the same things from another member. I appreciate any help!
The srt tranny will not fit. It's too big (long). SRT-4 engine bay is bigger than a PT. But who knows, maybe you can fabricate, though nobody has done it. The 850 isn't bulletproof, either.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 24 Apr 2008, 05:09 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Green View Post
The srt tranny will not fit. It's too big (long). SRT-4 engine bay is bigger than a PT. But who knows, maybe you can fabricate, though nobody has done it. The 850 isn't bulletproof, either.
Well i didn't figure it would be indestructible, but it has to be better than the stock PT one, I highly doubt that Dodge/Chrysler would just make 2 equally strong/weak transmissions for cars of different performance ranges. As for the length, do you know how much longer it is and where the clearance issues are? I am just doing research for when I pull mine.
Old 24 Apr 2008, 05:16 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTmodrod View Post
Well i didn't figure it would be indestructible, but it has to be better than the stock PT one, I highly doubt that Dodge/Chrysler would just make 2 equally strong/weak transmissions for cars of different performance ranges. As for the length, do you know how much longer it is and where the clearance issues are? I am just doing research for when I pull mine.
I'm pulling this out of my hat, but I've heard 1 1/2". I didn't know the 5 speed in the na PT was that weak. Maybe you could go with the Getrag 5 speed that comes in the GT. I never had any problems with mine in my '03 GT and I was running 280 hp. I know people who have really upped the power in the GT have had to upgrade the clutch.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 24 Apr 2008, 05:35 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Green View Post
I'm pulling this out of my hat, but I've heard 1 1/2". I didn't know the 5 speed in the na PT was that weak. Maybe you could go with the Getrag 5 speed that comes in the GT. I never had any problems with mine in my '03 GT and I was running 280 hp. I know people who have really upped the power in the GT have had to upgrade the clutch.
Well this is going to sound dumb, but I never knew the GT came with a 5 speed option! I thought you could only get the autostick... I'll look into that. The 5 speed in my PT is not necessarily weak, but I am hoping to run around 300-350 horse and similar torque, so I need something tougher just to be safe.
Old 25 Apr 2008, 02:19 am
Cool Cruiser

I was pretty sure I had come across a guy on ptcrew that has done the swap. He went from a N/A auto to an SRT-4 engine and tranny. I can't remember what the heck his name was, I'll see if I can find that thread.

Ben
2001 Red PT Cruiser Limited, 16" OEM alloys, Airaid CAI, Screamin' Demon coil and Livewires, some shiny stuff inside, Alpine deck, Alpine four channel amp, Alpine PLT5 sub, Hertz speakers in 4 corners, Keystone ram air hood, 6000k 55w HID high beams, 6000k 35w HID fog lights, new stone chips every day to add character.

2007 Suzuki King Quad 700 4x4 for when the road gets bumpy.

Old 26 Apr 2008, 10:21 am
Cool Cruiser

I wouldn't put a whole lot into a T850 being an 'upgrade'. There are plenty of stories on the SRT forums of T850s going out at ridiculously low milage with fairly stock power. I don't know if the T series trannys are blowing because of power per se anyways.

If I wanted to put down 300HP, personally I'd just use a quality clutch with a soft engagement to keep tranny shock down, and put in Booger bushings to make sure I don't miss any shifts. Anyways, if you did a T850 mount in the PT you may need to get custom half shafts made, which will run you $1000 easy. Just not worth it for swapping for a tranny that has a worse record than ours.