Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
BG Fuel Induction Service

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Apr 2008, 10:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default BG Fuel Induction Service

My 2005 PT Limited Turbo Lite, purchased new by me in July 2005, now has 9,560 miles on it. Most of my driving is a mix of around town and highway driving with occasional freeway driving. I have used Conoco Philips 76 premium gas since new. My PT runs well. The PT is garaged when not being driven. My area has a moderate climate with very little smog, dust or smoke. The PT's overall mileage since new is 18.217 mpg.

Today my Chrysler dealer did the routine three month oil and filter change. The service writer said that their tech recommended the BG Fuel Induction Service because of "low mileage and carbon build up."

I asked the service writer if Chrysler recommends this service. She responded "No, but your PT's low mileage and Oregon's ethanol fuel requirement indicates that you should do this service." (Beginning in January of this year the fuel in my part of Oregon now has 10% ethanol content year around, thanks to the powerful environmental lobby and political correctness that permeates Oregon government.)

My Chrysler dealer normally charges $206.75 for the BG Fuel Induction Service. A coupon special offers the BG Fuel Induction Service for $189.95, plus shop supplies, until 4/30/08. This coupon reads "Recommended annually or every 15,000. Our process removes deposits from the engine air/fuel intake system. In addition it cleans fuel injectors and engine combustion chambers. Our process using BG#206 removes deposits from the air intake system and contains a fuel dryer. In addition, BG #210 cleans fuel injectors & engine combustion chambers."

I'm wondering if this is just a push for more service business or is this something I should actually get taken care of? Any comments or advice would be appreciated.

Today while I was at the Chrysler dealership I inquired about extending the bumper-to-bumper warranty for my PT as that portion of the warranty expires in July. The dealer's Business Manager quoted a four year extension through Chrysler at $2,380 with $100 deductible for each use. The dealer then offered to knock the price down to $2,180. Three days ago I called Chrysler directly to inquire about the same bumper-to-bumper extension. Chrysler quoted $1,345 for the same coverage for my PT.

Last edited by TalkieTime; 25 Apr 2008 at 12:41 pm.
Old 25 Apr 2008, 07:13 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: BG Fuel Induction Service

Today while I was at the Chrysler dealership I inquired about extending the bumper-to-bumper warranty for my PT as that portion of the warranty expires in July. The dealer's Business Manager quoted a four year extension through Chrysler at $2,380 with $100 deductible for each use. The dealer then offered to knock the price down to $2,180. Three days ago I called Chrysler directly to inquire about the same bumper-to-bumper extension. Chrysler quoted $1,345 for the same coverage for my PT.

There must be something wrong with me!!!!! I cannot figure why you would pay $1,000 more for the same contract with a Chrysler extended warranty. You must have more money than I, I went on line and found a Chrysler dealer in Iowa who saved me $750 on a genuine Chrysler Warranty from what my dealer quoted me.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 25 Apr 2008, 02:11 pm
Veteran Cruiser

It's a push for more money. What does low mileage and carbon buildup have to do with each other? I would have smiled and said, "No Thanks".

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 25 Apr 2008, 05:53 pm
Cool Cruiser

A) The fuel service is bull crap. A little carbon is nothing that a good bottle of fuel system cleaner and a good ole 'Italian tuneup' can't clear up.

B) Ethanol will keep your engine MORE clean, not create more carbon. Carbon is largely a byproduct of the irregularity of gasoline particularates. Ethanol is a standardized molecule and thus burns prety clean.

C) Driving like a senile grandma is more likely to give excessive carbon build up vs. low milage. Hence my suggestion in "A" to give it an 'Italian tuneup'.

D) Extended warranties are a high markup item for dealerships. Remember a dealership's #1 priority is to rape people and leave them violated and penniless. Car dealerships are more cold an heartless than Mexican drug cartel hitmen. 100% markup is standard data at a dealership. And even Chrysler is still making a decent penny on the $1300 price after the warranty. Personally, I'd just put the $1300 aside and save it for a rainy day in the rare eventuallity a 10,000 mile car will have some significant breakdown. If you think you don't have the discipline to keep the money set aside, then by all means buy the warranty direct through Chrysler.
Old 26 Apr 2008, 11:15 am
Senior Cruiser

Keep in mind that the warranty that the dealership is selling you probably costs them in the $300-$500 range, more for some high end car and less for low end cars. The rest is markup.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 26 Apr 2008, 04:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
I went on line and found a Chrysler dealer in Iowa who saved me $750 on a genuine Chrysler Warranty from what my dealer quoted me.[/COLOR]
Thank you for the tip. Today I got the Chrysler Maximum Care (bumper-to-bumper) zero deductible 7/60 service contract through Wittrock Motors in Iowa. The cost was even less than that quoted directly by Chrysler. Here is the link to Wittrock Motors Chrysler service contracts:

Extended Auto Warranty for your Chrysler, Dodge or Jeep Vehicle.* Fast, Free online quotes!

Chrysler Maximum Care is honored by all Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep dealers. Towing is included. Also included is Trip Interruption coverage (lodging and meals up to $1,000) if my PT breaks down more than 100 miles from home.

With my 2005 PT Limited Turbo covered bumper-to-bumper (except for regular maintenance, a few routine wear items, and soft trim items), this gives me peace of mind until July 2012.

Last edited by TalkieTime; 03 May 2008 at 03:04 pm. Reason: adding Wittrock Motors link