PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
vibration ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 May 2008, 08:05 pm
Young Cruiser

Default vibration ?

Hello
Well I got my car back thursday from the dealer that repaired my transmission. Replaced the plantary gears and clutches

Well this vibration was happening before the transmission went out so I dont think it has anything to do with it

when taking off from a start at about 20-25 mph the steering wheel vibrates like a car does when the brake rotors are warped when you stop but this vibration is happening as you are gaining speed around 20-25 mph Now to just give you some infomation the brake rotors are warpped I plan on replaceing them this week I was just wondering if anyone has had this happen to there car and could the brake rotors be causing it.

the car has 54000 miles and is a non turbo it has new tires and it did the vibration with the old tires so its not tires
Old 03 May 2008, 08:28 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: vibration ?

It's your cv axles. The inner joints are worn. Should be a covered repair under powertrain warranty.
Old 03 May 2008, 08:53 pm
Young Cruiser

thanks I guess its back to the dealer

what should i tell the dealer to look for or should i just tell it like i did here on the fourm
Old 09 May 2008, 08:08 am
Young Cruiser

Hello Everyone
Well after taking it back to the dealer they found that the right axle needed replaced so they did that and the vibration is still there. They tell me its just normal
I also replace the rotors and brake pads with factory parts and the vibration is less after doing that ( the reason for replaceing the brakes was warped rotors ) So do anyone have any ideas the vibration is a lot better now but still there any ideas?

Last edited by 2004PTCruiser; 09 May 2008 at 08:09 am. Reason: spelling
Old 09 May 2008, 10:06 pm
Cool Cruiser

no amount of vibration is 'normal'. slap the guy who said that and go to the guy on his right. could the wheel be bent? raise the car and shake the wheels top to bottom, any slack may indicate bad bearings.

Last edited by Cartman; 09 May 2008 at 10:14 pm.
Old 09 May 2008, 11:23 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ucantcme Send a message via MSN to ucantcme Send a message via Skype™ to ucantcme

Wheels need balancing?? lol

My Baby:
01' Taupe Limited PT Cruiser w/ rear spoiler, Drop in K&N Air Filter, Limo tint all around, blue neon interior, blue LED windshield nozzles,
In-dash CD/DVD/Radio made by Jensen, Vent Visors, Chrome Antenna Bezel, Chrome Grille inserts, Dual Catback Exhaust, Scan Gauge II,
back-up camera, and a system containing 2 Lanzar 15" subwoofers and an MA Audio 1800watt amplifier.

Check me out on Car Domain!
Old 11 May 2008, 02:25 pm
Young Cruiser

Well guys most of the vibration is gone I think now what I am feeling in in the motor if I rev the motor up to about the same rpms that it changes into second gear I feel the same vibration coming from the motor its self

I guess if its something major it will rear its ugly head when it gets worse

LOL

I feel sure the tires are balanced I did them myself at the tire store ( I know the mgr at tire store well and he know how pickey i am)

I also had the dealer check the bearings and they say they are good
Old 17 May 2008, 06:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

It could be the motor mount if it happens when revving the engine.
Old 18 May 2008, 02:55 pm
Young Cruiser

yes I thought it could be the motor mounts also but they look good

I did read that a dealer told someone that it could be in the transmission and that its normal

the dealer I took it to said they have no idea they replaced the right axle an that did nothing to stop it

I have no idea
Old 30 May 2008, 03:03 pm
Young Cruiser

Hello everyone I am still trying to find my vibration in second gear. I was wondering about the motor mounts or torque struts could that be the problem how do you check to see if they are bad?

I have checked
Tires new but i looked at them anyway and they are balanced
wheel bearing look good
replaced the front right axle
rebuilt transmission but vibration was there before transmission went out and is still there now
wheels not bent
What else could this be the dealer has no idea
What do you great people think?