Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Transmission linkage "temporarily fixed"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 May 2008, 08:07 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Transmission linkage "temporarily fixed"

My trans was having a lot of trouble going into first and third gear and day by day, it was getting worse. Finally i ripped out my center console and took a look at the linkage at the shifter end. perfectly fine. so i checked it where it connects to the transmission... The bushing that usually holds the linkage to the peg was, for lack of a better word, shrapnel. There was about half an inch to 3/4 of an inch of play before the linkage moved the peg. I ripped out the chunks of old bushing and found a way to temporarily fix it! I used a small bushing that fits snugly inside the loop at the end of the linkage and over the peg, but obviously it would not stay in place, as the R clip was missing and thebushing was not held in pace by anything but friction so! on top of that i put a large washer and held it all down with a loop of coat hanger wire as i didn't have any R clips. This is only a temporary fix, but i thought you might get a kick out of it.