Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Tune-up ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 May 2008, 10:53 am
Regular Cruiser

Question Tune-up ?

My cruiser has 30,000 miles on it. I would like to know what spark plugs, wires and coil to install? Aftermarket parts? Any other possible tune-up ideas?

06 Touring
Manual
~30,000miles
Old 11 May 2008, 01:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Tune-up ?

Your coil should be good for the life of the car, leave it alone. Any decent set of wires except what Chrysler sells will do. A lot of us went to the Champion Double Platinum plugs #7570 gapped at .040in. Be sure to use dielectric grease on the plugs wires, anti-seize on the threads of the plugs.

If you can afford it, switch to synthetic oil. Good for the engine and might even give you 1 or 2 more MPG.

The owner of the forums (Skylight) put a "sticky" in the Teck & Performance part of the forum. Use that as your guide to changing the plugs and wires. You won't have to do some of the instructions and it pertains to older PT's but most of it's the same.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 11 May 2008 at 03:34 pm.
Old 11 May 2008, 03:28 pm
Regular Cruiser

Are you supposed to change the spark plug wires? I'm used to working on older cars.
Old 11 May 2008, 03:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

YES, definitely, especially on a PT Cruiser. The stock wires don't last very long and cause problems to countless owners.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 11 May 2008, 03:44 pm
Regular Cruiser

Any recommednations for sprak plug wires? I asked about the coil, I have a free one scream demon from a freind? So don't install it?
Old 11 May 2008, 03:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Since it's FREE, go ahead and install it, can't hurt. Just didn't want you to put out any money for it because the stock coil lasts almost forever and it puts out more than the PT needs so there's no justification for the expense.

Most auto stores (Auto Zone, Pep Boys Advance Auto etc.) carry sets of wires for the PT. Anything is better than the stock wires. You don't have to upgrade to the 8mm and above wires also because it's not needed.

A lot of us get our mods and parts from www.RaceandStreet.com they have good parts, fast delivery and great customer service. But if you want to save on shipping, your local auto store can get you what you want.

Old 11 May 2008, 03:56 pm
Regular Cruiser

Thank you again for your help....