Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Have a few questions about headgasket repair

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 May 2008, 12:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Have a few questions about headgasket repair

I'm going to replace the headgasket for a friend of mine. Its leaking oil out of the back side of the motor, so I'm assuming its the head gasket.

I have the manual posted here for 01-04 PT. This one is an 05. Should be the same right?

Couple questions. Removing the dampner to remove the timing belt. It says to use a 3 jaw puller, with a special insert. What is this special insert, and where can I find it?

The manual also says I have to remove a bunch of A/C lines to remove the timing belt covers, which means after I'm done I'd have to take it to an A/C shop and spend probably $75 to have it recharged? Or can I use a few cans of r134 from walmart? Or is it possible to work around the lines and keep them connected?

Any other words of wisdom? Tips, tricks? I've got 3 days to get it done.
Old 11 May 2008, 01:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Have a few questions about headgasket repair

Can't answer most of your questions but I do know it's IllEGAL in ALL states for you to just take off the air-conditioning lines and let the R12/R134 or whatever happens to be in the unit out into the atmosphere.

Like dumping used oil down the sewer drains or throwing containers of used oil in the normal trash.....both ILLEGAL.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 11 May 2008 at 01:06 pm.
Old 11 May 2008, 01:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks, I know that.
Old 11 May 2008, 02:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Do you have or need a manual? If so, here's a link to a thread that has a way of getting a free Repair Manual that might help. A lot of reading (3 pages) but there's a couple ways of downloading the manual so read it all. Good Luck.

Free Pt Repair Manual for all

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 11 May 2008, 04:37 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Can't answer most of your questions but I do know it's IllEGAL in ALL states for you to just take off the air-conditioning lines and let the R12/R134 or whatever happens to be in the unit out into the atmosphere.
R12 hasn't been in new cars since the 90's. I think 94 was the last year. I thought the whole point of R134 was it was much more environmentally safe? If the government didn't want R134 released into the environment, then why is it cheaper than a pack of cigarettes?
Old 11 May 2008, 05:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Don't know why it's so cheap but I do know it's illegal to release it into the atmosphere. Do a search on the internet. here's a few.....

New Alternative Refrigerants

safe working with vehicle air conditioning systems - a guide for employers, self-employed people, and supervisors - indg349

IS YOUR SHOP FOLLOWING EPA’S RULES FOR MOBILE A/C SERVICE?

Old 11 May 2008, 09:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Do you have or need a manual? If so, here's a link to a thread that has a way of getting a free Repair Manual that might help. A lot of reading (3 pages) but there's a couple ways of downloading the manual so read it all. Good Luck.

Free Pt Repair Manual for all

Thanks. Not trying to be a jerk, but did you read my post? I said in my post that I downloaded the manual and was wondering if there are any shortcuts around what the manual says. There are always 2 ways to do things, the way the book says to, and the backyard mechanic way. You dont always have to follow the book to a T, theres always work arounds for certain procedures.

Mainly I was wondering, do I HAVE TO remove the A/C lines. And what is the special insert they are talking about to remove the dampner.

YES, I'm well aware, R134 or any freon is illegal to release into the atmosphere. Let's move past that issue. I'm getting started on this car tomorrow after work.
Old 11 May 2008, 09:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Hopefully, someone who has done a head gasket will come along and maybe give you a tip or two. If not, maybe you can relay your experiences to the forum so someone else facing the same problem can learn from you.

Old 12 May 2008, 06:08 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

You can do it with out removing the a/c lines but it does make it easier if you remove them. Having said that I don't normally undo the lines. If you don't undo the lines then you will need to unbolt the a/c drier to allow the engine to move around. Also unplug the a/c compressor. I learned the hard way. It's not hard to do a head gasket but you do need to be mechanically inclined. Pm me or email me if you have questions.
Old 12 May 2008, 06:12 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

One more thing is the special insert for the pulley. All it is is a rod that bottoms out in the bolt hole to allow the puller to work against a stop. A good 3 jaw puller designed for pulling balancers will have it included.