Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
New here..some problems on my PT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 May 2008, 10:32 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default New here..some problems on my PT

I'm new here and have some problems with my pt, so maybe someone can help.
Its a 2003 touring edition and i almost do not use it. It has 33K miles now. But theres a very loud "chirring" noise on the rear pads. I verified myself and there looks like new, so i clean all the parts with brake cleaner, a little sand paper on the pads and no noise for about 2 months. Then again the same procedure every 2 to 3 months. Is this a common problem with them? is the problem is the oem brake pads quality? I still have the originals brake pads.

The other problem is a noise on the drivers side front wheel. Its like a "shhh--shhh--shhh---shhh", I dont have time to verify it, but I know the disc is ok and the front brake pads are ok too because i change them 5 months ago. But the noise calm down when the system get hotter, its more like on the mornings for about 10 minutes. I know the problem is something that is rotating for the shape of the noise.
Any help?
Old 14 May 2008, 03:34 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: New here..some problems on my PT

I would think it might be rust on the brake rotors on the front and dust build up on the rear sence you dont drive the car much to only have 33000 miles on it for a o3 model year you might try looking at the rotors next time you leave it parked for a long period to see if there is rust on the rotors. About the only thing I have found to cure the rears is dump the dust out of the brake drums everytime I rotate the tires My mothers car has done this for years and I just bought a used 04 that does the samething

JMO
Old 14 May 2008, 06:44 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PICruiser View Post
Its a 2003 touring edition and i almost do not use it.

I think that's PART of your problem right there. When you don't use the car for a while, the rotors get a little rust on them and on most any car will make noise for a while until the rust is completely scraped off again.

Secondary issue may be if it's stock pads, most stock pads are semi-metallic ... the worst pads for noise offense. Either get some organic or ceramic pads, and replace them.
Old 15 May 2008, 09:17 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks. Where on this forum i can verify the recalls for the 2003 model? I just found a thread of recalls of a 2002 and one of them is problem with the signal lights and hazards. But i have the same problems but mine is a 2003, and i have never been call from the dealership.
Old 15 May 2008, 11:28 am
Young Cruiser

You should be able to find out if there are any recalls on the official chrysler web site under for owners on the left side of the page you just need the vin number