PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
06 turbo check engine light

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 May 2008, 02:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to 06SilverTurbo
Default 06 turbo check engine light

I have a 2006 vert turbo i have had it for about a year and 3 months, about a month ago i started to notice the engine was shaking a lot more than normal, a few days later the check engine light whent on , i did the key turning trick but there was no code i took it to autozone , they said that there was no code , they told me that it probably just needed a tune up , so i got new plugs wires and airfilter ,the car still shakes, and the engine light is still on . the check engine light is also statting to flash on and off. about a week ago i took it to a mechanic and he put a code reader on it, it said that i had a misfire in cylinder one ,I ask him if it could be the coil he said no because it was giving off spark , should i replace the coil anyways to see if it helps. this sucks because this all happend a little after the warranty ran out. Please any feedback will be helpful.
Old 15 May 2008, 03:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 06 turbo check engine light

Welcome to the forum.

Hopefully nothing bad like a leaking head gasket or worse. 9 out of 10 times that code is cured by the new plugs and wires. Do you notice any leaking or missing coolant? Is it running hot at all? Does it shake all the time or mostly at idle?

You've run into the old adage saying "all bad things happen after warranty runs out", It happens to all of us.
Old 15 May 2008, 03:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

It doesn't run hot the fluids are all fine , it shakes mostly at idle , it feals like it wants to turn off.
Old 15 May 2008, 04:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I noticed you said you changed the plug wires, did you also change plugs?

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 15 May 2008, 04:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

A lot of owners have had trouble with the IAC (Idle Air Controller) located and attached to the Throttle Body, but with your code (misfire cylinder 1) I doubt if that's your problem.

I did a lot of checking around the forums and internet and it mostly boils down to an ignition problem with some pointing to injectors or the coil. Fond a good sight for testing of random misfires....

RANDOM MISFIRES
Old 15 May 2008, 04:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
I noticed you said you changed the plug wires, did you also change plugs?
Ernie,

Pretty sure when he said "plugs wires and air filter" that he left off the comma between plugs and wires meaning he did change both.

0SilverTurbo, am I right?
Old 15 May 2008, 04:50 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06SilverTurbo View Post
I have a 2006 vert turbo i have had it for about a year and 3 months, about a month ago i started to notice the engine was shaking a lot more than normal, a few days later the check engine light whent on , i did the key turning trick but there was no code i took it to autozone , they said that there was no code , they told me that it probably just needed a tune up , so i got new plugs wires and airfilter ,the car still shakes, and the engine light is still on . the check engine light is also statting to flash on and off. about a week ago i took it to a mechanic and he put a code reader on it, it said that i had a misfire in cylinder one ,I ask him if it could be the coil he said no because it was giving off spark , should i replace the coil anyways to see if it helps. this sucks because this all happend a little after the warranty ran out. Please any feedback will be helpful.
I was always told I could drive with a solid check engine light. If the check engine light was flashing then park the car immediately and have it towed.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 15 May 2008, 04:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

yea thats right i changed the wires, plugs and air filter. so you think it might be the coil . thats what i was told i could be. Is that somthing i can do.or do i need to take it to a dealer to have the coil replaced . i did replace the wires and plugs my self i dont think the coil is difficult to remove, it looks like it is only a couple of bolts.
Old 15 May 2008, 05:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The problem is, you don't want to throw a $90 part at something that your not sure of. Plugs and wires are relatively cheap and there's always a chance you need them. The coil is not cheap and there's very little problem with them. Is it easy to change and if you had a manual (Haynes) or belong to PT Do-It-Yourself.net there's instructions on how to test them.
Old 15 May 2008, 05:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Besides the possible bad coil , what do you think I should do ? What else could be wrong with my PT ? I know that when the CEL flashes it means that its somthing major and i should pull over.