Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
temp reads 84F when it's 103F outside

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 May 2008, 06:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question temp reads 84F when it's 103F outside

This is a weird one, on the dash the gauge which shows your direction and outside temp, well the gauge won't go past 84 degree's.. it's about 103 outside today, way above the 84 degrees..

so i'm thinking the temp sender must be defective. but i'm alittle curious if this might affect the engine, as i imagine the ecu ? might be thinking it is only 84 outside so it might run alittle rich or lean.

it goes below 84 degree's when it is cooler outside just seems to stop reading above 84 and stays at 84 ??

it's going into the dealer soon anyway, but i'm wondering if anyelse has come accross this.. maybe it's somthing else more common..

also the ac terrable at idle, but i'm thinking there not related..

2006 turbo pt...tx mike
Old 17 May 2008, 07:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: temp reads 84F when it's 103F outside

The reading has nothing to do with the engine or ECU?. I take it you have a newer cruiser as the older models only read the outside temperature on the overhead console. It gets it's reading from a sensor that's located in back of the grill and in front of the radiator.

The computer checks the incoming air for the correct air/fuel mixture by means of a sensor connected to the ribbed air intake located between the air filter and the throttle body.

The service manual indicates that the outside air sensor is not adjustable and must be replaced when faulty. There are two diagnostic tests (sensor and circuit) that your dealer can perform to determine if the sensor is working correctly.

On your second concern about the a/c being terrible at idle ....make sure your fan is running when your at idle and the A/C is on. If not, you might be headed for an overheated condition.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 17 May 2008 at 07:42 pm.