PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Overheating and stuff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 May 2008, 02:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Overheating and stuff

Hello all,

I have been lurking for a while, and had gotten some pretty good feel for my overheating prob... 2004 Touring, I bought preowned from dealer..But no warranty.. I have put about 10k on it and had gotten it at 24k.
Well the problem was noted at idle...The AC went warm, and it shot refrig. out. when I killed the AC, it stopped shooting.

When on the Hiway, I could run AC but the car started running warm.

It turns out I did need some coolant, yet I am noticing term like "Bleeding the coolant"?.. how is that performed?.. and Why?...

Well after a coolant add, the guage sits at mid, and the AC still spurts refridg. at idle (until I shut off compressor)...

So here is where I sit. I note that the fan is the most common issue on this board. So that is my next project..

but before I do this, I have some questions... On a cold start, and hitting the AC immediately, does the fan come on?..or does it need to warm first?..When you all speak of the "2 speed" function of the fan, is this "2 speed" live within the fan?... or is it always a full time HI SPEED fan with the relays handling the speed?

The reason I ask is only because I have read here numerous times that either the LOW or HI speed burns out...and the recommendations are to replace the fan......Well is that's true, wouldn't it simply be the relays?..The fan does come on, but it waits until the engine is hot, and I have never heard it run at two different speeds.

Any advice would be great. Thank you.
Old 18 May 2008, 03:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Overheating and stuff

The fan does have two speeds and both are controlled by the computer or sensors. The high speed fan should come on immediately (cold engine or not) when you turn on the air-conditioning. If not, one or both speeds are burnt out. Above 35 mph the fans shut off and the air going thru the radiator will keep the engine water temperature and air-conditioning cool enough.
Old 18 May 2008, 05:54 pm
Cool Cruiser

so you have refrigerant or coolant shooting out of your car? as for bleeding of the coolant system, sometimes you get an air pocket trapped in the upper part of the cooling system, and bleeding removes these air pockets to allow for proper cooling.
Old 18 May 2008, 06:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Here's the bleed valve...

Old 18 May 2008, 07:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
so you have refrigerant or coolant shooting out of your car? as for bleeding of the coolant system, sometimes you get an air pocket trapped in the upper part of the cooling system, and bleeding removes these air pockets to allow for proper cooling.

Thanks guys... CREWZIN you should be getting paid.. So how strange is that bleeding of the coolant system......??

In regard to the refrigerant.. YES... only becuase I believe it is running hot, building pressure and blowing out the valve.. IT ISN'T a leak, or else the whole sys would be drained.. When it starts ..I can shut it off, AND it's intermittent.. Didn't do it for a week, only at idle and never when on the hiway...

Crewzin, Thanks for understanding my question, I had to reconsider how I was going to word it... The fan doesn't come on until the guage hits medium... and then it just sounds like one of those Old box fans you buy at Lowes.. seems like it's slow in the revolutions... not hi speed at all..So I guess it's just worn out....
Old 18 May 2008, 08:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

[QUOTE=fredthedj;231636]Thanks guys... CREWZIN you should be getting paid.. So how strange is that bleeding of the coolant system......??

Now that question I don't understand. How strange is it? Bleeding the air out of the system (like Cartman just said) is essential to the proper operation of the cooling system. Trapped air can stop the flowing of the water thru the system and cause overheating. Bleeding should be done every time there's loss of water and more is added.

It does sound like you need to replace the fan/housing. It's all in one piece.
Old 18 May 2008, 08:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have just never had a vehicle that requires a coolant bleed (mostly Ford Pickups etc.) When I add coolant I just filled at the radiator cap, I can hear the air purge as I filled and included squeezing the TOP hose to see if it was full.. I mean every vehicle needs coolant every once in a while...so if you need a quart or two due to natural degradation?..wouldn't you be bleeding on a constant basis?
Old 18 May 2008, 08:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You shouldn't need a quart or two ...ever, if you do, you have a problem.

Even my Vette needs to have the system bled of trapped air if it needs a change of fluid every few years. No antifreeze lasts forever. Yes, it you just add a little, then refilling the overflow tank will do but if it gets low enough, air can get into the system and get trapped.
Old 20 May 2008, 07:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks again everyone, I replaced the fan motor..I realize I could have gotten the whole assembly but 3 auto places told me that it was SPECIAL ORDER.. but everyone had the motor. It was moderately easy. I used Crewzin's picture (another thread) for reference, and it seems as if most work would be easier to do through the front anyway... When it came to bleeding the radiator coolant, I loosened the valve, and it ran some liquid through it.. So I guess is the process done when the vehicle is hot and running?.. or cold and dead?.. the only bleeding experiences I have ever had were hydraulic.. So there was always PRESSURE to drive the air out.

The fan did come on immediately as soon as I hit the AC, the temp needle went to middle..(which I don't know if that is too high simply because I don't remember where it was prior to the fan failing.) I am also in Texas.. today it was pretty hot.
Old 20 May 2008, 07:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Bleed the system when the water is hot enough to open the thermostat but be careful. The needle should be half or just below half and stay there all the time once it gets hot.