PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
engine misfire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 May 2008, 10:04 am
Young Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to coco1476
Default engine misfire

i`m new to this site. I would like to say hello to everyone and this forum is great. I have a 2004 pt 2.4 and my engine is running weird, it`s like it misfires. I changed spark plugs, wires, air filter and it`s still running the same way. The car has 81000 km and it`s manual, as soon as i let go the gas the car stumbles, like my wires or spark plugs are done. Please help me
Old 26 May 2008, 05:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: engine misfire

Welcome to the Forum:coco1476.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 26 May 2008, 06:03 pm
Young Cruiser

Thanks Hooligan!!

Yes my engine was doing it but alot worst, after i did change the plugs and wires it ran fine for about a month and then started again, so i changed them again ran good for a month and it`s running like before. The car has all the power it needs but if i`m just cruising at 30-50 mph or if i`m downshifting it`s like it`s misfiring.
Old 28 May 2008, 06:15 am
Obsessed Cruiser

welcome, what did you gap the plugs at ??
Old 28 May 2008, 08:00 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobs turbo pt View Post
welcome, what did you gap the plugs at ??
Bob might be on the right track. Chrysler used to say to gap the plugs at .050in but have put out a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) that advised the dealers to change the gap to .040in. Also, when you pulled the plugs out, did you check them for any signs that something is amiss? Sounds like you have an internal problem which fouled the first set of plugs. Changing plugs started you off good but soon the "internal problem" fouled the new set of plugs and so on.

That's only a guess, but reading the plugs can tell you all sorts of things.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 28 May 2008, 09:13 am
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Teekypt

Are you getting enough fuel in your cylinders?

I had this backfiring and it seemed like a transmission problem, because it would backfire when I got to 2500 rpm and wouldn't go any faster than that. So the problem was that one of my cylinders wasn't working properly because the fuel nozzle couldn't freely spray the fuel in the chamber....it was plugged, which caused the misfire....

http://www.math.uh.edu/~tai/Today/Clean3.jpg
Old 29 May 2008, 11:53 am
Young Cruiser

Hi everybody!!

I did recheck my plugs. They were all nice and clean and the gap was at 42, so, i put them back at 40 went for a test drive and it`s the same again, but i could hear a noise coming from the clutch, it sounds like something loose or a broken spring. Could this broken spring hits the clutch and make the engine jerk like a misfire.