PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Fog lights won't turn off...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 May 2008, 03:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Fog lights won't turn off...

I have a 2002 PT Cruiser Limited Edition. I got in my car on Sunday before I even put the key in I noticed my fog light were on. It was in the off position so I turned them on and back off again and they will not turn off. The only way to turn them off is if I turn on my left turn signal. I called a dealer and they said it was the multi-function switch and quoted me $250 to fix. So my first questions is are they right about the switch? If I don't get it fixed could it cause more problems? And lastly could I just pull the fuse on my fog lights and not use them? I really don't have a need for them at all.

Thanks in advance!
Old 28 May 2008, 03:04 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Teekypt
Default Re: Fog lights won't turn off...

WOW!!!! This happened to me last week.

Yes, it's the multi-function light switch (hi/low beam, signal lights, and fogs). Yes, $250.00 sounds about right. my dealership quoted me $230.00, but I got it for $100.00, cuz of my service contract.

http://www.math.uh.edu/~tai/Today/Clean3.jpg
Old 28 May 2008, 05:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Yes, you can pull the fuse. I have a 2001 and the fuse is the Number #8 15A of the interior fuses next to your left knee. Problem is, that I don't know what else that fuse covers.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 28 May 2008, 07:31 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

ALSO TAKE OUT THE BULBS,,,,$250.oo for a switch is like Jese James,,,but I know they have to get paid,,, good luck
Old 22 Apr 2009, 04:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Cool Re: Fog lights won't turn off...

I went to open the door to my PT after work and discovered that I had a dead battery. After getting the car jump started, I noticed the fog lamp indicator was lit.
I got out and saw that the fog lights were on, even though the switch was off.
I took out the bulbs, which were hidden beneath the mud flaps, and the green dash indicator was flickering every time I used the turn signal when driving, and I needed to jiggle the blinker's arm to make sure that I didn't leave the dash light still on while parked in the off position. Since I found the switch at RockAuto.Com, for $60, I might get a break on its installation. The dealer claimed that the part is back-ordered. There may be thousands of us replacing the same type of defective part. That's called planned obsolescence.
Old 22 Apr 2009, 08:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepuretz View Post
I went to open the door to my PT after work and discovered that I had a dead battery. After getting the car jump started, I noticed the fog lamp indicator was lit.
I got out and saw that the fog lights were on, even though the switch was off.
I took out the bulbs, which were hidden beneath the mud flaps, and the green dash indicator was flickering every time I used the turn signal when driving, and I needed to jiggle the blinker's arm to make sure that I didn't leave the dash light still on while parked in the off position. Since I found the switch at RockAuto.Com, for $60, I might get a break on its installation. The dealer claimed that the part is back-ordered. There may be thousands of us replacing the same type of defective part. That's called planned obsolescence.
That's a good price - but make sure the switch you ordered has fogs - it can also be ordered without fogs and is cheaper. I replaced it on my daughter's PT, and I think I got the switch for about $75. Easy to replace, just need torqx wrenches for the actual switch.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 26 Apr 2009, 03:27 pm
Regular Cruiser

Crap; just happened to me. Very wierd, even when the car is off, the fogs lights stay on. Is this the same issue everyone else was having. A few jiggles and I can get the lights and fog light indicator off; but sometimes the closing of the door will turn them back on.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 26 Apr 2009 at 03:33 pm.
Old 26 Apr 2009, 03:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Yep, sounds like the multi-function switch has burned/melted a couple of the parts together in yours also. If it's an 01-05 cruiser, pull the #8 fuse and that will shut the fig lights off till you replace the switch.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 27 Apr 2009, 07:16 pm
Regular Cruiser

You were right on the money; multi-function switch. Had it replaced and all seems OK. Someone had posted earlier in this thread that turning on the left directional works to turn the fogs off; this is a great temporary fix so the battery doesn't drain because the fogs stay on.
Old 28 Apr 2009, 08:42 am
Young Cruiser

is the multi-function switch the same as turn signal switch? same happened to me, actually was smoking so i pulled the fuse(also effects the hi-beams). link to autozones site for the turn signal switch only 100 bucks..

AutoZone