Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
suggestions for 01 non turbo 5 spd

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Jun 2008, 08:25 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default suggestions for 01 non turbo 5 spd

i have a 2001 pt cruiser (of course)5 spd ....and its non turbo and all i have done to it is a cold air intake......what can i do for a cheap performance upgrade....i was thinkn bout a oversized throttle-body and maybe a spacer....but i dont know if that would give the increase in performance that i want.......the cold air intake definitly added like 5-10 hp and i could definitly feel and hear it in second n third gear..... if u guys have any tips i would really appreciate some help with this.

thanx
jarrid
Old 03 Jun 2008, 11:45 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: suggestions for 01 non turbo 5 spd

The concenus of most is that the Throttle Body Spacer is a waste of money.

People say I have a drinking problem. I Drink... I Get Drunk... I Fall Down... No problem! ! !
Old 03 Jun 2008, 12:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the forum. Bad news for ya. First, the cold air intake MAYBE gave you about 3 hp and you won't feel it. It makes a lot more noise but your only imagining the jump in hp. It would take a dyno or a run down the track to see any difference. The Throttle body spacer (as John already said) is a waste of money. It worked or does work on a carburetor engine but not on the cruiser. The oversized TB won't help unless you do some head work to use the extra air. The only other thing to do for a little bit of performance is to free up the exhaust output. Cheapest way to do it is to put on a performance muffler like Dyno Max, Borla etc.

There is a procedure to increase the shifting of the 2001 cruiser but it was only for automatics thanks to MX-5.

The best thing to do is put good plugs and wires on and change to synthetic oil.

Unless your willing to put some money into your engine, there's not a lot you can do to the Non-turbo engine.
Old 03 Jun 2008, 11:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The auto tran throttle body moves more air, and it is a drop-in fit. My experience with this auto throttle body is mixed. It pulls in so much more air that the motor cannot add enough fuel and/or air velocity drops too much under certain conditions, like full throttle stomp at low rpm. That is "fixed" by simple throttle modulation.
Old 04 Jun 2008, 12:19 am
Veteran Cruiser

I agree with CREWZIN.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 04 Jun 2008, 12:49 am
Cool Cruiser

Or you can spend a bunch of money for every mod that adds power. On paper my car has at least another 20hp more and should have lost about 5 seconds 0-60. New my car did 0-60 in 12.5 seconds. After the mods, 0-60 in 12.5 seconds. It SOUNDS faster. I'm looking for a hit PT GT and am going to do an engine swap. I still like the 01 for the nicer interior with more colors and variety in the plastics.

Ben
2001 Red PT Cruiser Limited, 16" OEM alloys, Airaid CAI, Screamin' Demon coil and Livewires, some shiny stuff inside, Alpine deck, Alpine four channel amp, Alpine PLT5 sub, Hertz speakers in 4 corners, Keystone ram air hood, 6000k 55w HID high beams, 6000k 35w HID fog lights, new stone chips every day to add character.

2007 Suzuki King Quad 700 4x4 for when the road gets bumpy.