Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Quit Cruizin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Jun 2008, 05:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Quit Cruizin

I put a used motor in an 01 Pt a while back. It ran great and had 62K on it. The motor was out of an 02. The owner drove it home and parked it in the garage, probably a month ago. He decided to go for a drive last night and made it maybe a mile and the pos quit. I checked it out and it has no spark. I had the ecm for the car we swapped the motor from so I tried that....still no spark. Then I unplugged the cam sensor and it acually fired but obviously would not run. Plugged the sensor back in and the darn thing quit firing. So I tryed a new cam sensor, still no spark. Unplugged it again and it sputtered a little. Whats going on, all I know for sure is I am going to be bald soon from pulling all my hair out over this car. HELP
Old 09 Jun 2008, 09:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Quit Cruizin

I think it may be with the auto shutdown. God if only everything was a gm or ford this world would be a hell of a lot better.
Old 11 Jun 2008, 07:27 am
Fresh Cruiser

Last night I tryed a crank sensor, no dice. I have tried a cam sensor, crank sensor, USED ECU, checked wiring as best I could and still no spark. Maybe its the coil, I might as well waste some more money and try that tonight. It does have voltage to the coil for a couple seconds when the key comes on, from what I have read this is what its supposed to do. Ideas anyone? I really hate this car
Old 11 Jun 2008, 08:30 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Hopefully one of the mechanics on the forum will see your post and come up with some ideas. I take it there was computer code set when it quit running? That would give an indication of where to start looking.
Old 11 Jun 2008, 09:05 am
Fresh Cruiser

No, the original computer did not have a code in it. If I replaced the ecm would I have trouble with the ignition key not reading the frequency, or is this not read by the ecm.
Old 11 Jun 2008, 11:01 am
Obsessed Cruiser

From what I read, a new ECM would have to be flashed by a dealer for everything to work right. I don't know if it has anything to do with the key.
Old 11 Jun 2008, 11:21 am
Fresh Cruiser

The ecm I put in was used and out of the car the motor came from. It ran great in the other car.
Old 11 Jun 2008, 01:39 pm
Cool Cruiser

I could be wroung, but I think the key data is in the ECM, so you should try the new key setup. I would contact a dealer to see if that is the issue.
02' Black Woodie Limited Edition Drop in K&N Air Filter w/air box mod. 06 tail lights, Limo tint all around, orange LED interior, Mopar 8 inch sub, Stull side pipes. Silver stars upfront, a little chrome
Old 17 Jun 2008, 07:50 pm
Regular Cruiser

Cool Re: Quit Cruizin

I know this may sound wierd but did you disconnect your pos battery cable at any time trying out all these things? You might do so for about 20 minutes. This worked on two other non cruiser cars before and one was my sons Mercury cougar! Seemed the computer was causing things not to work because it was put into LIMP mode! The radio and clock and the wiper fluid motor also came back on. Hasn't acted up since and this was last year.

It's worth a try anyway.

It's not just a matter of MPG... it's the ride! Still wish it was better!
Old 18 Jun 2008, 07:45 am
Obsessed Cruiser

So it ran okay after the swap, then sat for a month and is now acting up?
Check the battery - seriously - wierd things happen when battery starts to go.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles