Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Timing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Jun 2008, 01:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Timing

I am the proud owner of a 2003 PT Cruiser GT Turbo. I love the car but my timing is off and needs to be adjusted. The car is not currently running thanks in part to some bad gas. All things being what they are I was hoping that someone could please explain to me how to perform a static timing check/ adjustment. I need help ASAP as this is my only ride so if you want to contact me on AIM, my screen name is: Bond and 4 Ever.

Thank you and I look forward to your replies
Old 14 Jun 2008, 02:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Timing

Welcome to the forum. I'm pretty sure the timing isn't adjustable by you or your mechanic. Everything is controlled by the computer and sensors. There's the ECM (Engine Control Module), ECU (Engine Control Unit), PCM (Power Control Module) all doing sensor checks to keep things running. Only thing left to do by hand is gap the plugs.
Old 25 Nov 2008, 03:52 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Welcome to the forum. I'm pretty sure the timing isn't adjustable... Everything is controlled by the computer and sensors. There's the ECM (Engine Control Module), ECU (Engine Control Unit), PCM (Power Control Module) all doing sensor checks to keep things running. Only thing left to do by hand is gap the plugs.
CREWZIN, (or anyone else) I am experimenting with a Hydrogen Fuel cell design, that I am designing and building for my PT. The small design I have will fit behind the engine, on the fire wall, by relocating the overflow tank for the radiator.

Is there an aftermarket device, that allows changing ...the timing on the fly ??? A display with real time, data would be cool, but not a deal breaker if not so equiped...

FYI, I am following the thread sarted by NotaDodge, which discusses a Hydrogen fuel cell, on a PT... My reason for asking about the timing, is this... After using adjustable MAP controls, with small output Hydrogen generators, the next step is to poduce larger fuel cells which may call for adjustments in timing... Hydrogen burns so fast that 100% hydrogen fueled engines, need ignition timg AFTER TDC !!! Where as gasoline, engines fiire before TDC...

thanks, Ab

Last edited by Abendicum; 25 Nov 2008 at 04:27 am. Reason: Clarifying the reason for the timing question...
Old 25 Nov 2008, 02:41 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Timing is pcm controlled so I doubt if the timing is off. The only way to adj timing is with an aftermarket engine management system (around $1k) or a handheld tuner (around $400) like the Diablosport Predator which can hold up to five tunes.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic