Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Car dying!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Jun 2008, 01:30 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Car dying!

So twice now in the past few weeks, my car has died on me when i come to a red light. It starts right back up, but it worries me. Multiple times is drops to about 300 rpm when i approach a red light. Any ideas what the problem is? I have an 03 basic 5 spd. Thanks guys!

'03 Pt, headrest monitors, dvd, painted interior (kind of), modified air box, K&N drop in filter
Old 19 Jun 2008, 05:21 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Car dying!

Does the computer throw a code where the engine light comes on?

Stalling could be caused by many things but there's been a lot of problems with the IAC (Idle Air Controller) located attached to and in back of the throttle body. It might be malfunctioning or dirty. It controls the butterfly inside the TB and lets the engine speed come down slowly to an idle when you come to a stop. If it's not working properly, the butterfly shuts and the engine dies. It would start right up after that.

Old 19 Jun 2008, 06:42 am
Obsessed Cruiser

What Crewzin said. Also, ignition wires often start to act up at idle - how old are the wires? Put new plugs in at the same time you do wires.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 19 Jun 2008, 11:28 am
Regular Cruiser

I'm not sure how old the plugs and wires are. The cars an 03, I got it in March. Thanks for the help, I guess I'll try those and see if it helps. It just scares me that it's going to not start back up.

'03 Pt, headrest monitors, dvd, painted interior (kind of), modified air box, K&N drop in filter
Old 19 Jun 2008, 08:12 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by air4cefamily View Post
I'm not sure how old the plugs and wires are. The cars an 03, I got it in March. Thanks for the help, I guess I'll try those and see if it helps. It just scares me that it's going to not start back up.
It sounds to me like the Idle Air Controller. I have to agree with Crewzin. My friends Jeep (or as it is now christened the "chEEP") had the same problem! We had to keep it revving in neutral at every light then click it into drive when it went green. Not good for the car, but it got us home... Chirping the tires at every light got annoying after the third time and I felt bad for he people around us. It should keep starting up fine, so no no worries there... unless I am wrong! DUN DUN DUUUUUUUNNNNN!
Old 19 Jun 2008, 08:53 pm
Regular Cruiser

wow. that was scary dont do that dun dun duuuuuuun thing anymore. bad

Old 19 Jun 2008, 10:09 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by air4cefamily View Post
wow. that was scary dont do that dun dun duuuuuuun thing anymore. bad
Awww fine. spoiling all my fun... lol