Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
02 PT Tranny Problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Jun 2008, 12:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 02 PT Tranny Problems

On the freeway yesterday doing 70 mph and I hear and feel this thunk noise and watch my odometer go crazy since my foot is on the gas. I realize that I am coasting while in drive and pull over to the right shoulder and luckily coast to the off ramp. I put it in park and realize I am still rolling, so hand brake is set. Any gear the car rolls. Has this happened to anyone before? I have almost 80,000 and it this car has run great, but looks like my luck has run out. I have heard bad things about the PT torque converter going out. Could this be the problem? Would you recommend a rebuilt tranny or an exchange? Thank goodness I was not in the 120 degrees of the Mojave Desert with this happening. Any help would be great and I thank you all.
Old 20 Jun 2008, 03:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 02 PT Tranny Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1916 View Post
On the freeway yesterday doing 70 mph and I hear and feel this thunk noise and watch my odometer go crazy since my foot is on the gas. I realize that I am coasting while in drive and pull over to the right shoulder and luckily coast to the off ramp. I put it in park and realize I am still rolling, so hand brake is set. Any gear the car rolls. Has this happened to anyone before? I have almost 80,000 and it this car has run great, but looks like my luck has run out. I have heard bad things about the PT torque converter going out. Could this be the problem? Would you recommend a rebuilt tranny or an exchange? Thank goodness I was not in the 120 degrees of the Mojave Desert with this happening. Any help would be great and I thank you all.
I had the same thing happen on my 2002 with only 40+K miles on it. I had it completely rebuilt using all new parts at the dealership under warranty. If it is rebuilt make sure they use all new parts. A exchange will get you a rebuilt housing, not much can go bad in just the housing.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 20 Jun 2008, 05:57 pm
Cool Cruiser

I believe that you can get high stalls for the 41TE trannys. If you have to replace the torque converter it might be worth checking out. I can't remember where I came across those tho, I think maybe on PTcrew.com. My brother has a high stall in his 1983 Ramcharger, it makes a huge difference for launching, playing in the mud, and towing. The one he's got is still full lockup so it doesn't kill fuel mileage.

Ben
2001 Red PT Cruiser Limited, 16" OEM alloys, Airaid CAI, Screamin' Demon coil and Livewires, some shiny stuff inside, Alpine deck, Alpine four channel amp, Alpine PLT5 sub, Hertz speakers in 4 corners, Keystone ram air hood, 6000k 55w HID high beams, 6000k 35w HID fog lights, new stone chips every day to add character.

2007 Suzuki King Quad 700 4x4 for when the road gets bumpy.

Old 23 Jun 2008, 10:33 am
Fresh Cruiser

Torque converter was the problem. Total rebuild $2700. Ouch!
That's alot of fillups at the pump...