Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
DIY Air Box mods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Jun 2008, 10:54 pm
Young Cruiser

Default DIY Air Box mods

Anyone got any pics of DIY mods to the airbox & intake. I would like to smooth out the air flow & get a little better performance out of my PT.
Old 26 Jun 2008, 05:36 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: DIY Air Box mods

There USED to be a set of pictures for the air box mod but it was posted on PT Cruiser World which is down right now and doesn't look good for coming back. That's the ONLY place i've seen pictures. Maybe someone here with the mod could take the box apart and take pictures of each stage of the set-up.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 26 Jun 2008, 06:12 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I found this one of mine. Chrome top piece is a basket used for grilling. Bought it at Lowes.

Old 26 Jun 2008, 09:25 am
Young Cruiser

Has anyone had a noticable improvement in mileage or power a K&N filter? I'm just trying to make my little PT run more efficent. I kind of a DIY nut & just the kind of person that can't leave well enough alone I do the same thing with my aquarium hobby too
Old 26 Jun 2008, 04:22 pm
Young Cruiser

I went with Mobil One and a K&N at the same time, did see a increase in mpg, anywhere from 1-3mpg depending on usage. Even without a increase, saving $12 per filter change covers the cost of it.
Old 26 Jun 2008, 06:43 pm
Young Cruiser

I don't have pix, but what I did was pretty simple. Take out the white plastic piece that looks like a spool and take the fenderwell-to-airbox elbow off. Lastly, I blocked the resonator section with 20 ga. steel, and filled the resonator chamber with household type expanding foam in a can. Fond a slightly different sound, and some performance increase in the mid to upper range. My dyno is a particular hill on I-84 that I hit on my way to work.
Also found two kinds of air filters in my shop. One has a mesh grille on the top side and one doesn't. The one without the mesh tended to squeeze off the gasket rim of the bottom box, and open up a non filtered path. The meshed one didn't distort at all.
Old 27 Jun 2008, 08:48 am
Regular Cruiser

Maybe you would be willing to take some pics?? Post them here or a link to where you can put them at

Instructables - The World's Biggest DIY & How To Show & Tell

It would be a great service to us here in the PT community!

*hopes*

Tom

Base '03, Light Almond Pearl Metallic - Modified 2.4 na w/ported head, 10.4:1 compression ratio & Crane #10 camshafts - 4 speed - Energy Poly bushings - Napa ceramic pads & Ultra premium rotors - Rotora Stainless brake lines - Extreme Acc. Xenon HID 8k low & 6k high

Dark taupe & Ivory Interior, Factory CD w/Sirius Stratus 4, Power Acoustik 840w 4ch, Boss 200w 2ch w 10" bandpass sub, 2 sets Phoniex Gold Matched comp. speakers

Rolling stock: 16" SE A7w 225/50/16 Kuhmo Ecsta AST - One of the nicest Light Almond PT's you'll find
Old 27 Jun 2008, 06:49 pm
Young Cruiser

I put some pix and descriptions in an album on here. It's under nexium, and air box mod. I hope you can find them. I almost couldn't!!
Hey, it took me 3 hours to figure out how to stick that little picture next to my postings.
Old 27 Jun 2008, 09:33 pm
Young Cruiser

I saw the pics that you had linked through your profile. I'll have to pop the hood & rumage around to see what my options are.
I have wed & thursdays off, so I may pull it all aprat then. "Scoot" got a good sponge bath yesterday so I can see where I need to apply some polishing compound & elbow grease toget some scuffs & scratches out. So it will be a good time to do all of it at once.

Thanks for posting the pics!

Last edited by JoeHundredAire; 27 Jun 2008 at 09:37 pm.
Old 30 Jun 2008, 06:34 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeHundredAire View Post
Anyone got any pics of DIY mods to the airbox & intake. I would like to smooth out the air flow & get a little better performance out of my PT.

Here's one you can check out....

Build Your Own

People say I have a drinking problem. I Drink... I Get Drunk... I Fall Down... No problem! ! !

Last edited by Johns Steel Blue; 01 Jul 2008 at 08:52 am.