Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Overheating PT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Jun 2008, 08:32 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Overheating PT

I have a 2001 base model PT with 81,000 miles. Never had any trouble at all 'til we got it paid off earlier this year. Brake lines collapsing, calipers freezing up, all kinds of great stuff.

Went running around yesterday and started home my Cruiser got to running hot. When we stopped, there was no water in the overflow. So I filled it up. Within a few miles, it got hot again, only this time, the water in the overflow was boiling and started running out on the ground. Checked the radiator and there was no coolant visible. So I filled it up and started home again only to have it running in the red while pulling into the driveway.

Just about to give it up. Any fixes?
Old 28 Jun 2008, 08:43 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Overheating PT

Welcome to the forum Deano.

The list is long for reasons of overheating. Bad thermostat, in-operative fan, bad water pump, cracked head gasket or loss of water from somewhere.

Lots of ways you can loose water and overheat and that's your first priority. Find out where the waters going. Any white smoke out the back? Any puddles on the ground? Pin holes in the upper or lower radiator hoses will leave large wet spots somewhere to be seen. What does the dip stick to your oil look like? Any foam or dis-colored liquid on the stick?

If there's no visible signs to you, you might want to take it somewhere to do a pressure check on the cooling system.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 28 Jun 2008, 03:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

if you can hear like a gurggling sound in the overflow jug then i would suggest changing your thermostat first. I had a problem similar to that and it happen to be my thermostat.
Old 28 Jun 2008, 10:54 pm
Cool Cruiser

dont forget radiator cap.....
Old 29 Jun 2008, 08:03 am
Obsessed Cruiser

water pump or thermostat
Old 29 Jun 2008, 01:13 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quickest thing to change is the cap.

If it works...then drain and re-fill with DISTILLED water and coolant; don't use tap water.
Old 05 Jul 2008, 04:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Welcome to the forum Deano.

The list is long for reasons of overheating. Bad thermostat, in-operative fan, bad water pump, cracked head gasket or loss of water from somewhere.

Lots of ways you can loose water and overheat and that's your first priority. Find out where the waters going. Any white smoke out the back? Any puddles on the ground? Pin holes in the upper or lower radiator hoses will leave large wet spots somewhere to be seen. What does the dip stick to your oil look like? Any foam or dis-colored liquid on the stick?

If there's no visible signs to you, you might want to take it somewhere to do a pressure check on the cooling system.

No smoke. Nothing on the dipstick but oil. No puddles. No idea where the coolant is going.

How do you get the thermostat out? I've had everything loose (upper rad. hose, thermostat housing), but that's as far as I'll go without knowing for sure. The intake is in the way, so I'm guessing it has to come out, huh?
Old 05 Jul 2008, 04:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

haven't done it myself, but the Haynes manual says the upper intake does have to be removed.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 06 Jul 2008, 06:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Can the intake be removed (or at least set aside) and be re-installed without new gaskets and all that sort of stuff?
Old 06 Jul 2008, 07:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Yes. Be careful how you take it apart and the four oblong gaskets that are between the two halves of the upper and lower manifold can be used again. They are rubber and fit into groves of the upper part of the manifold.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 06 Jul 2008 at 08:44 pm.