PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
which way is better

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Jul 2008, 06:07 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default which way is better

leaving the snorkle on the air box to the fender or removing the snorkle

I thought the opening next to the fog lite picked up air and sent it up the fender well to the air box but it doesnt. I had someone hold my leaf blower with the reducer that fit in the hole and then put my hand at the top of the fender well where the snorkle goes and did not feel any air at all. So, what good is that opening? or would it be better just to remove it and maybe get a little better air flow even if it is warm air.
Old 03 Jul 2008, 10:27 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: which way is better

Although it seems that there is no airflow from there, there is! It actually comes in from an opening between the fender and the bumper. Removing the snorkel will encourage the car to pull more hot air from the engine bay. I do not know if there will be an improvement or not to be honest. Try it and see? If there is let me know!
Old 04 Jul 2008, 10:59 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4SPEED View Post
leaving the snorkle on the air box to the fender or removing the snorkle

I thought the opening next to the fog lite picked up air and sent it up the fender well to the air box but it doesnt. I had someone hold my leaf blower with the reducer that fit in the hole and then put my hand at the top of the fender well where the snorkle goes and did not feel any air at all. So, what good is that opening? or would it be better just to remove it and maybe get a little better air flow even if it is warm air.
The opening by the fog lamp is to flow air to the brakes, but you can remove a piece of the ducting and then the air will flow into the air intake duct that is in the fender well, you can also run a dedicated hose from the fog lamp duct up to the air box snorkel by pulling the fender well back behind the headlamp area. There is about a 2" indentation in the inner steel fender well that the air travels up to the air box.

Or you can run another inlet to the side or bottom of the lower section of the air box and run the intake hose to the grill area below or beside the headlamp.
http://www.alcamar.com/trailer/
Old 04 Jul 2008, 11:48 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream4 View Post
The opening by the fog lamp is to flow air to the brakes, but you can remove a piece of the ducting and then the air will flow into the air intake duct that is in the fender well, you can also run a dedicated hose from the fog lamp duct up to the air box snorkel by pulling the fender well back behind the headlamp area. There is about a 2" indentation in the inner steel fender well that the air travels up to the air box.

Or you can run another inlet to the side or bottom of the lower section of the air box and run the intake hose to the grill area below or beside the headlamp.
That does seem like it would help. Sort of simulating a ram air system... The filter wouldn't be too happy though! All that road dirt, a washable K&N Filter would do great for that.
Old 04 Jul 2008, 02:54 pm
Regular Cruiser

Why not just cut the side out of the airbox, and cover it with some large guage mesh to keep "the big hunks" out?
Old 06 Jul 2008, 10:32 pm
Young Cruiser

I just spent some time poking around this very area on my 03 n/a. I'd wanted to run a hose from the grille area(upper or lower)to the box. Short of fabbing a rectangular duct that would run under the car, through the fenderwell and to the box, that seems to be out.
The fog light opening looks promising, But I am thinking about the fenderwell panel just to the center of the car by the headlite bulb access hole. Perhaps a flex hose(rubber or a/c duct type)from that area running to the fog lite area.
It is obvious that moving the battery would give lots more room for ducting. Even reversing the battery/airbox locations would help.
But actually, the best solution I came up with is to cut(!)a access hole through the body panel adjacent to the air box. This hole would be just above the headlite on the vertical panel below the hood line. Yep. Cut a hole through your exterior body panel. Perhaps a fabbed sheet metal duct or scoop, ala some old race car tricks. Either painted car color, of left bare metal to give that rallye look. Course it helps that my PT is black, not so obvious. Now just to get the nerve up....