Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2007 PT No Brake Lights Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Jul 2008, 12:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2007 PT No Brake Lights Question

Ok, so I have a brake light issue. 2007 Touring Edition model.

The third brake light in the hatch door works fine. Tail lights work fine, Turn signals work fine. I have no left or right brake light.

I have replaced the bulbs, checked the foot switch and checked the fuse.

A 12 volt test light shows no power at all getting to the bulb for the brake light at both the left and right side.

Anyone have any clue what might cause this???

Chuck
Old 05 Jul 2008, 01:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 2007 PT No Brake Lights Question

you checked the obvious so as its still under warrenty i would now take it to the dealer
Old 05 Jul 2008, 01:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yea, thought about that too ... I had a trailer hitch installed. And a powered Modulite converter for the trailer lights installed as well.

Everything was working fine. Since the brake lights quit working, I removed the Modulite converter to eliminate that as the problem. Just simply no power getting to the bulb for brake lights. I'm thinking that, having had the hitch and converter installed, prob voids that as being under warranty lol. Guess I will find out monday morning.

Was just hoping someone might have a suggestion for another relay, module or something that I could check.
Old 05 Jul 2008, 02:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I'd put it all back together and take it to the place that put the trailer hitch on. That's the place who screwed it up. Even if it was working when you left, they are the ones who worked with the wiring and even if they won't admit to doing something wrong and saying "it was working fine when you left", power to the lights just don't stop by itself and they were the last ones to mess with it. Be nice about it and if it's a reputable company, they will work to find your problem.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 05 Jul 2008, 07:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yea may do that as well monday morning before going to the dealer.

I found some information about Totally Intergrated Power Module? TIPM for short. Anyone know if that is expensive? LoL And what this may have to do with the brake lights??

If worse comes to worse, and neither the hitch place or the dealership will warranty repair it, and it turns out to be expensive, I may just tie into the third brake light. Or possibly custom build another brake switch tied directly into the battery with an inline fuse. Pretty simple mod.

I'm not sure why the third brake light would work, I assume for safety reasons in case the main ones fail to work, therefore its on a different circuit?? Not sure I really understand why car makers do some of the things they do lol.

Anyway, find out monday ... will post whatever they find so anyone else with the same issue will know.
Old 05 Jul 2008, 08:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I just started a thread on the IPM here...

Intregrated Power Module

You won't have to buy a new one and what it has to do with the brake lights.......the fuse for the brake lights is in that module ...But you said you checked the fuse ????? How did you check the fuse if you don't know what the IPM is for ???

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 05 Jul 2008, 08:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

was going off the owners manual, checked #3 fuse in the box behind the air cleaner box under the hood... didn't know that's what the TIPM was. "Fuse Box" would be a simpler term haha ... anyway ...

Last edited by katfishgr; 05 Jul 2008 at 09:08 pm.
Old 05 Jul 2008, 09:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by katfishgr View Post
was going off the owners manually, checked #3 fuse in the box behind the air cleaner box under the hood.

Just learned something. #3 is the CHMSL Brake Light, or Center High Mounted Stop Light. So that fuse wouldn't help what I am looking for anyway LoL. So where is there a fuse for just the right and left brake lights?!?

Last edited by katfishgr; 05 Jul 2008 at 09:08 pm.
Old 05 Jul 2008, 09:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

My bad. I threw the pages up for the IPM and saw "brake" but didn't read all of the wording. What's funny is that the under hood fuse box for the 01-05 cruiser has a separate fuse for the brake lights. I sure don't see one in the IPM for them

Old 05 Jul 2008, 09:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Did a little google search, found something similar on another pt site. This was on a 2006.

Someone did like me and had a hitch and converter installed for trailer wiring. Stated it worked for a month and then the brake lights went out. Beats me ... find out monday I suppose.

After a trip to the dealer, the dealer claimed - "the trailer feedback into the front control module burnt out the brake module, which is part of the fuse box".

"The PDC or Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM) is serviced as a unit with the engine compartment wire harness. If any internal circuit of the TIPM or the TIPM housing is faulty or damaged, the entire TIPM and engine compartment wire harness unit must be replaced".

Hence my wondering about just modding in a new seperate switch if warranty won't cover it. Sounds expensive.

Last edited by katfishgr; 05 Jul 2008 at 09:27 pm.