Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
MPG problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Jul 2008, 08:31 am
Regular Cruiser

Default MPG problem

We took a trip back to Indiana last weekend and were getting around 19 mpg for the whole trip. The tires were perfectly inflated. I'm wondering if something isn't right with how the cold air intake was installed or if the computer needs reset. I know the plugs and wires had been replaced before we bought it, but maybe they put in the wrong ones. We were highway the whole trip.

Any thoughts?

Jeremy

Jeremy & Echo - owners of Bessy - steel blue '02 limited PT - Airaid intake - billet grille - Mr. Mike's welts - Streamline Designs Custom Edition - Streamline Design Vinyl Visor cover
parents of Riley & Harrison and a crazy boxer named Minnie
Old 08 Jul 2008, 08:46 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: MPG problem

Jeremy.

I could be a number of things but before going over all of them how bout reading all 3 pages of the discussion on MPG on this thread. Might give you some ideas.

MPG does not suck

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 08 Jul 2008, 09:49 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrises View Post
We took a trip back to Indiana last weekend and were getting around 19 mpg for the whole trip. The tires were perfectly inflated. I'm wondering if something isn't right with how the cold air intake was installed or if the computer needs reset. I know the plugs and wires had been replaced before we bought it, but maybe they put in the wrong ones. We were highway the whole trip.

Any thoughts?

Jeremy
Jeremy, if it is a AirAid there is only one way it can go on. I just bought a 2008 NA and have already changed plugs & wires when I got it (approx. 200 miles), I also installed my AirAid intake and the last fill up (both city and highway we got 19 with only 700+ miles on it.

But like Crewzin said check the link before you start "plunging" into fixing something.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 09 Jul 2008, 08:35 am
Regular Cruiser

It also has a trailer hitch, but i think it's aftermarket. So I don't think that it came with a towing package transmission. I'll read the other post.

Jeremy & Echo - owners of Bessy - steel blue '02 limited PT - Airaid intake - billet grille - Mr. Mike's welts - Streamline Designs Custom Edition - Streamline Design Vinyl Visor cover
parents of Riley & Harrison and a crazy boxer named Minnie
Old 09 Jul 2008, 12:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: MPG problem

Yes..any number of things!
1. Did you say "computer" reset? Don't trust the mpg reading on the dash!! Actual/accurate MPG readings are done by filling up the tank, noting the mileage and doing your own calculations, as you refill each time.
2. Even the mpg calculations can be off if you have an other than OEM rim & tire size. That's why most of the posters on the PT sites are mentioning using a tire size calculator in selecting tire sizes to be as close to OEM as possible.
-other wise you will have to bring the tire size conversion factor into play in your calculations too. (e.g., a smaller size tire would turn more per unit of road, giving you the sense that you were travelling farther on a tank of gas....when actually you are travelling a shorter distance)
...the DML Tire Size Calculator link below is one that some of us use in choosing new tires...
DML Tire and Wheel Calculator

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!

Last edited by soonercruiser; 09 Jul 2008 at 12:02 pm.
Old 09 Jul 2008, 01:26 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to digitalpinscruiser Send a message via Yahoo to digitalpinscruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonercruiser View Post
Yes..any number of things!
1. Did you say "computer" reset? Don't trust the mpg reading on the dash!! Actual/accurate MPG readings are done by filling up the tank, noting the mileage and doing your own calculations, as you refill each time.
Yep I dont trust the computer on the dash. I am going to reset mine this weekend, before me their was one owner to my PT whom put 20,000 miles on it. My computer on the dash is telling me that I am getting 12.2 mpg which I know is not right at all. I have had my PT for about a month and a half now. So I am definently going to reset the computer. I just know that its wrong, also I was a quarter away from filling up the tank last weekend and I watched the computer. The mile to empty kept jumping up and down, this was happening 30 minutes after I filled it up.
Old 09 Jul 2008, 01:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Forget the dash MPG readout. I use mine to regulate how I drive, IF I can keep it between 17.9 & 18.2 city driving I'm a happy camper. Less than that I know my fill up mileage will suck.

What we mean by resetting the computer is removing the negative cable for 5 /10 minutes, that resets the engine computer, NOT the dash MPG readout.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 09 Jul 2008, 02:49 pm
Young Cruiser

having a base model(even my GT didn't have the readout), I was'nt aware some on here were using it. Geez, the Ford Excursion(V 10)I drove for awhile used to register up to 18mpg at times. But it never broke 11mpg.
It's important also to:
1. always fill up at the same approximate time of day...ie; morning or early evening.
2. determine if you are going to stop at the first click, second or when it spills onto your brand new $100 shoes.
3. reset the trip odo or write the mileage down right then, not later because you'll remember it. You won't.
Use the calc in your cell phone to figure it before you drive out of the station. Safer than doing it at 80 in traffic.
4. Don't change more than one thing at a time if you really want to determine what is improving or harming your mileage.
Old 09 Jul 2008, 06:49 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ucantcme Send a message via MSN to ucantcme Send a message via Skype™ to ucantcme

How fast were you going the whole way? Cruising at 70 and going 80 are going to make a HUGE difference.

My Baby:
01' Taupe Limited PT Cruiser w/ rear spoiler, Drop in K&N Air Filter, Limo tint all around, blue neon interior, blue LED windshield nozzles,
In-dash CD/DVD/Radio made by Jensen, Vent Visors, Chrome Antenna Bezel, Chrome Grille inserts, Dual Catback Exhaust, Scan Gauge II,
back-up camera, and a system containing 2 Lanzar 15" subwoofers and an MA Audio 1800watt amplifier.

Check me out on Car Domain!