Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
getting a turbo together

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Jul 2008, 03:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default getting a turbo together

i wanted to put a turbo on my pt. i was wondering if i could get the manifold, mounting bracket, oil line and the down pipe from a srt4. also what else im going to need. i know the turbo,new intake, bigger injectors,blow off valve, intercooler, larger fuel pump. and would i be able to used the intake from a srt4 also.
Old 09 Jul 2008, 03:42 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: getting a turbo together

you can check me against the Turbo section of the forum, but I think you're totally out of luck. Different engine.
Old 09 Jul 2008, 11:22 pm
Veteran Cruiser

The PT GT, turbo lite and Neon SRT-4 have the exact, same engine. The SRT-4 has different intercooler and plumbing, different intake manifold, different throttlebody, different 5 speed tranny and different pcm programming. The na 2.4 L engine does have weaker internals so you won't be able to boost past 8psi.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 10 Jul 2008, 01:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

so what parts will i have to get from a wrecked pt or srt4 to get my project moving?
Old 10 Jul 2008, 02:10 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by iskuts View Post
so what parts will i have to get from a wrecked pt or srt4 to get my project moving?

If you can, you should get a complete engine, or at least a short block, the oil pump, pistons, rods, & crank are all upgraded from the n/a engine, and the block has oil jets to squirt oil into the cylinders beneath the pistons, there is also an oil cooler at the filter, and the water pump is also different as the turbo is water cooled.
http://www.alcamar.com/trailer/
Old 10 Jul 2008, 03:10 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream4 View Post
If you can, you should get a complete engine, or at least a short block, the oil pump, pistons, rods, & crank are all upgraded from the n/a engine, and the block has oil jets to squirt oil into the cylinders beneath the pistons, there is also an oil cooler at the filter, and the water pump is also different as the turbo is water cooled.
Totally agree. It would be much easier to do.

Old 10 Jul 2008, 03:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream4 View Post
with all respect i dont want to do it that way. b/c i dont want to drop in a new engine.this car is a daily driver and im not going to be racing it i want to try and get it piece by peice so my girlfriend doesnt yell at me. i am willing to upgrade parts. but i want to do it in stages(buy the parts)
Old 10 Jul 2008, 04:07 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by iskuts View Post
... b/c i dont want to drop in a new engine....
Either way, pull the engine from the wrecked one because you will be using most of the parts.
Old 10 Jul 2008, 05:20 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTmodrod View Post
Either way, pull the engine from the wrecked one because you will be using most of the parts.
He makes an excellent point. I'm lucky that my wife is supportive in my hobby, but that's not to say I can blow a lot of money and buy everything at once. It's taken me three years to get my '05 SRT-4 into the 12s and to corner like a slot car. If you want to do this right and have every part you'll need then having a whole engine at your disposal right then and there is the way to go. Talk to your wife about picking up a used GT turbo engine. Make a deal that you'll sell everything left over to make back money. Hell, get a second job to pay for the engine. It's going to take you several years if try to piece meal this together without your wife knowing what's going on. If you are still hell bent on piecing it together then get a hold of Bob Stockum here index He is the make your own PT turbo guru.

Old 10 Jul 2008, 10:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Green View Post
He makes an excellent point. I'm lucky that my wife is supportive in my hobby, but that's not to say I can blow a lot of money and buy everything at once. It's taken me three years to get my '05 SRT-4 into the 12s and to corner like a slot car. If you want to do this right and have every part you'll need then having a whole engine at your disposal right then and there is the way to go. Talk to your wife about picking up a used GT turbo engine. Make a deal that you'll sell everything left over to make back money. Hell, get a second job to pay for the engine. It's going to take you several years if try to piece meal this together without your wife knowing what's going on. If you are still hell bent on piecing it together then get a hold of Bob Stockum here index He is the make your own PT turbo guru.
thanks i will gave to ask him, his site is fill with information
. i thank you a ton.