Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Is my A/C compressor dying?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Jul 2008, 06:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Is my A/C compressor dying?

I was charging up the A/C on my 96 caravan today, and figured i would check the PT while I had the gauges out, since i suspected it might be low.

I went to pull the PT out of the garage and as soon as I turned on the A/C, the engine almost stalled 3 times. I put the gauges on and the pressure read 70 which dropped to 65 after a little while. Revving the engine did nothing to bring the pressure down. On my caravan the pressure is around 35 to 40 and idle and drops to 25 to 30 at 2000 RPM.

The only way I was able to get the pressure down was to turn the fan to low and close the vents. once I turned the fan back up the pressures shot back up again.

Unfortunately I was unable to connect the high side hose to get a pressure reading because chrysler decided to screw a transducer on there at the factory. However after a while the cooling fan comes on high which means the compressor is developing a fair amount of pressure.

I have never charged this system before, however the condenser was replaced 4 years ago due to an accident. It worked fine from then untill this year when it started loosing performance.

From the pressure readings and the performance problems, it looks like my compressor is dying. any ideas?
Old 12 Jul 2008, 07:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Is my A/C compressor dying?

You seem to know lots more about A/C systems than I do - if you think it's going, it probably is. Only thing I hear from your description... "However after a while the cooling fan comes on high which means the compressor is developing a fair amount of pressure" - is that my understanding is that the engine fan should come on immediately when you turn on the A/C - and maybe that's your problem - seems fan only comes on from coolant temp in your case.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles