PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Cold Air Intake

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12 Jul 2008, 10:09 pm
Jcamden's Avatar
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Redmond, Washington
Posts: 28
Default Cold Air Intake

Wow,

Highly recommend this for anyone that has a turbo. Sounds great and gives an added boost..

K&N Chrysler PT Cruiser Typhoon Intake System 03-06 2.4L Turbo - AutoTruckToys.com

I'm not really sure what to buy next. I really don't want to get the performance chips because you have to run a higher octane. Other than grabbing a better exhaust what do you guys think?

Thanks
__________________
04 - Platinum PT 2.4l turbo
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12 Jul 2008, 10:43 pm
Veteran Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Oregon.
Posts: 3,521
Default Re: Cold Air Intake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcamden View Post
Wow,

Highly recommend this for anyone that has a turbo. Sounds great and gives an added boost..

K&N Chrysler PT Cruiser Typhoon Intake System 03-06 2.4L Turbo - AutoTruckToys.com

I'm not really sure what to buy next. I really don't want to get the performance chips because you have to run a higher octane. Other than grabbing a better exhaust what do you guys think?

Thanks
I understand the sound is cooler, but please explain to me how it gave you an added boost. You actually gained 2-5 hp, which is impossible to feel, but the sad part is you actually lose double digit numbers of torque. Here's some nice info.

Dyno results - PT Forums - The PT Cruiser Enthusiasts and Owners Resource

http://http://www.kennebell.net/tech...AirWARNING.pdf
__________________
\'05 Stone White SRT4

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 13 Jul 2008, 12:51 am
Teekypt's Avatar
Senior Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,428
Send a message via Skype™ to Teekypt
Default Re: Cold Air Intake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Green View Post
I understand the sound is cooler, but please explain to me how it gave you an added boost. You actually gained 2-5 hp, which is impossible to feel, but the sad part is you actually lose double digit numbers of torque. Here's some nice info.

Dyno results - PT Forums - The PT Cruiser Enthusiasts and Owners Resource

http://http://www.kennebell.net/tech...AirWARNING.pdf
Hey Mean Green, K&N's advert boats 12.8 more HP. Wut up with that?
__________________
2003, GT, "ShuggaPlum", xenon bumper kit, custom grey/black CoverKing seat covers (front & back).
Sunrise: July 2002
Sunset: June 2018

http://www.math.uh.edu/~tai/Today/Clean3.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 13 Jul 2008, 01:24 am
Veteran Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Oregon.
Posts: 3,521
Default Re: Cold Air Intake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teekypt View Post
Hey Mean Green, K&N's advert boats 12.8 more HP. Wut up with that?
You can't believe everything a manufacturer says. I've seen more than one PT dyno of an open intake vs a closed one and they have all been pretty much like the dyno link I posted. Kenne Bell is a very respected player in the performance sector so I believe them.
__________________
\'05 Stone White SRT4

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 15 Jul 2008, 08:21 pm
Jcamden's Avatar
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Redmond, Washington
Posts: 28
Default Re: Cold Air Intake

Yup,

Mean Grean is right. Check out this link http://www.kennebell.net/techinfo/do.../ptcruiser.pdf

It's ok was only a $220.00 dollar waste.
__________________
04 - Platinum PT 2.4l turbo
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 15 Jul 2008, 10:22 pm
Veteran Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Oregon.
Posts: 3,521
Default Re: Cold Air Intake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcamden View Post
Yup,

Mean Grean is right. Check out this link http://www.kennebell.net/techinfo/do.../ptcruiser.pdf

It's ok was only a $220.00 dollar waste.
Nah, look on the bright side. It does look full race and cool as hell. As long as you are not trying to squeeze every bit of hp/tq out of your car. Under noral driving conditions you won't notice as much difference.

You could always sell it. Most people don't care as long as it looks cool.
__________________
\'05 Stone White SRT4

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 15 Jul 2008, 11:33 pm
Jcamden's Avatar
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Redmond, Washington
Posts: 28
Default Re: Cold Air Intake

Actually, I'm going to try to extend it a bit and put the cone filter behind my bumper.

Either that or I'm going to try to build a box around the filter and put a port near the fender wall.
__________________
04 - Platinum PT 2.4l turbo
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 14 Nov 2008, 07:29 pm
DIYPTGUY's Avatar
Regular Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 120
Send a message via AIM to DIYPTGUY
Default Re: Cold Air Intake

Im looking into getting an APC cold air intake for my PT. Does anyone know about the quality of APC? The price was awesome, so I assumed that it was just too good to be true. I know that K & N's can cost around $200 or more. APC costs about $55. Are they worth buying?
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 14 Nov 2008, 07:39 pm
ucantcme's Avatar
Senior Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Wixom, Michigan
Posts: 1,486
Send a message via AIM to ucantcme Send a message via MSN to ucantcme Send a message via Skype™ to ucantcme
Default Re: Cold Air Intake

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYPTGUY View Post
Im looking into getting an APC cold air intake for my PT. Does anyone know about the quality of APC? The price was awesome, so I assumed that it was just too good to be true. I know that K & N's can cost around $200 or more. APC costs about $55. Are they worth buying?
You get what you pay for.

That's all I got to say.

PLUS I think APC is more Warm Air Intake because there is no box around the cold air hole, it's just a filter out in the engine bay. Correct me if I'm wrong. Got a link?
__________________



My Baby:
01' Taupe Limited PT Cruiser w/ rear spoiler, Drop in K&N Air Filter, Limo tint all around, blue neon interior, blue LED windshield nozzles,
In-dash CD/DVD/Radio made by Jensen, Vent Visors, Chrome Antenna Bezel, Chrome Grille inserts, Dual Catback Exhaust, Scan Gauge II,
back-up camera, and a system containing 2 Lanzar 15" subwoofers and an MA Audio 1800watt amplifier.

Check me out on Car Domain!
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 15 Nov 2008, 12:38 am
DIYPTGUY's Avatar
Regular Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 120
Send a message via AIM to DIYPTGUY
Default Re: Cold Air Intake

I think your right. APC seems like they're a real jive brand. I couldnt even find a link that had anything close to what I saw at the store. How evident were the benefits of your cold air intake? I have a 2002 non-turbo touring. For the most part Ive heard that the benefits arent that evident. Is there any truth to this?
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
cold air intake? purple people eater Turbo Performance 50 26 Oct 2005 01:45 am
3" cold air or 2 1/2 " hot air intake ?????? amx1397 General Turbo Discussions 12 25 Jan 2004 12:35 pm
2003 TURBO UP, COLD AIR INTAKE amx1397 Vendors & Buyers Forum 1 18 Nov 2003 05:39 am
Real cold air intake Airbillster Tech & Performance Forum 5 02 Sep 2003 02:26 am
A TRUE cold air intake Airbillster Turbo Performance 7 14 Aug 2003 01:19 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:52 am.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors