PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Car Sometimes won't start (oil pressure light & Engine Light)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Jul 2008, 06:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Car Sometimes won't start (oil pressure light & Engine Light)

Hello,

I have a 2002 PT Cruiser (touring edition). Within the past two weeks, I've had the car once per week not startup, and each time when the car would not start the oil pressure light came on, and the engine light as well.

On these two days, it was after I was driving around town and had the AC on bust while driving. It was after I stopped the car, and then when going back to start it up I encountered the problems. Each time the outside temp was around 30 + Degress Celisius if that info matters. The first time when it wouldn't start, I had the AC on bust when trying to start, and the second time the AC or fan was not on and it wouldn't start.

Each time I just waited a bit, left the AC off and after a while I was able to start the car up. The second time this happened, the car started up, the oil pressure light was off now, but the engine light stayed on. I brought the car to a local shop where they did a diagnostic on it, but by then the light had gone off,....

Just two weeks ago I had an oil change, and the coolant level is ok, and I had the water pump, head gasket, and timing belt just replaced as well,....

Any thoughts/advice would be great...

Thanks!

Last edited by gerardio; 16 Jul 2008 at 07:39 pm.
Old 17 Jul 2008, 06:13 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Car Sometimes won't start (oil pressure light & Engine Light)

Gerardio, welcome to the forum.

Even though the engine light went off, the computer generated a fault code and the shop should have been able to retrieve a code to help diagnose the problem. The oil light sounds OK, the engine just needs to get oil pressure up for a few seconds before the light goes off.

Have you had the battery changed since you had the car. Have that checked for a full charge and no dead cells. Always have the air-conditioning completely off when starting the car. The starter takes a lot of amps to turn over and having the AC on doesn't help.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 17 Jul 2008, 07:08 am
Fresh Cruiser

I just had a new battery installed in May of this year, but since installed, I didn't have it checked for any dead cells.

G.
Old 17 Jul 2008, 09:40 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Don't bother with the battery, it's probably OK being that new. You had the head gasket replaced along with the timing belt so I take it you had a major problem before this. Was a tune-up done with the other work meaning were the plugs and wires replaced and plugs gaped at the new correct specs (.040in)?

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 17 Jul 2008, 09:48 am
Fresh Cruiser

I didn't have a tune up done the past year, maybe this is what I should get done now.
Old 17 Jul 2008, 11:58 am
Obsessed Cruiser

It doesn't have to be done every year, it just depends on the mileage that you put on from the last time you did have the plugs and wires changed.

Old 18 Jul 2008, 08:22 am
Fresh Cruiser

I can't recall if I had a tune up done in 2006 or not when I got the car, leaning more towards not tho. I have a tune up booked and asked them to check out the wires and plugs.