Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
glasspaks?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Jul 2008, 03:44 pm
Young Cruiser

Default glasspaks?

was wondering if anyone has removed muffler to put a new style cherry bomb glasspak on??looking to get a throatier deeper sound and like how they sound.they test for emmissions in my county and would this effect the testing?

ron
loepard skin seat cover and door inserts,shade shift leopard flame graphics,17" panther wheels,custom rear deck, 3Dtaillights,and new sound system coming soon (for the second time),shade shift magenta-gold door pillars,flowlighting inferno underbody,and whatever comes along when wallet gets fat, and lastly rear bucket seats
Old 19 Jul 2008, 04:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: glasspaks?

The Cherry Bomb shouldn't affect the emissions test as it's the CAT that does the work. I've only heard the C.B. on a V8 car so I would think it might give the PT a tin can sound that the ricers like. It's a completely straight thru design surrounded with glass pack.

A deeper sound would be a DynoMax or Flowmaster.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 19 Jul 2008, 04:30 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
The Cherry Bomb shouldn't affect the emissions test as it's the CAT that does the work. I've only heard the C.B. on a V8 car so I would think it might give the PT a tin can sound that the ricers like. It's a completely straight thru design surrounded with glass pack.

A deeper sound would be a DynoMax or Flowmaster.
I had a Dynomax muffler on the '01 PT and liked the sound. If you have a turbo you want a free flow exhaust, though.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 19 Jul 2008, 09:03 pm
Cool Cruiser

I don't care for glasspacks as a primary muffler. They can sound pretty good as a resonator with a high-flow muffler like a Magnaflow on an NA car.

I would only consider the Magnaflow as a primary muffler in the case of the turbo models, as Chrysler deemed the SRT4 with the same engine to be quiet enough without a muffler since the small turbo did sufficient sound suppression by itself.
Old 20 Jul 2008, 12:26 am
Cool Cruiser

My Heart Throb exhaust uses resonators and it's not loud at all. They're even reversed (hooks don't grab airflow). It has a resonator just after the cat, then one in each tip. I assume they're glasspacks, but not totally sure.

If you keep the cat in I don't think it will be too loud, I ran with open cat and it was much quieter than I thought it would be. Find the longest resonator in the size you need though, the longer the resonator, the quieter it will be, and I don't think it hurts airflow much with added length. My exhaust sounds okay, bit deeper, bit louder, not too ricerish. That's all based on my opinion though. It's a four banger, still sounds like a four banger. Wish it had another four cylinders to sound the way Chrysler made the car look.

Ben
2001 Red PT Cruiser Limited, 16" OEM alloys, Airaid CAI, Screamin' Demon coil and Livewires, some shiny stuff inside, Alpine deck, Alpine four channel amp, Alpine PLT5 sub, Hertz speakers in 4 corners, Keystone ram air hood, 6000k 55w HID high beams, 6000k 35w HID fog lights, new stone chips every day to add character.

2007 Suzuki King Quad 700 4x4 for when the road gets bumpy.