PT Cruiser Forum

Error code P1391

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By CREWZIN

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Jul 2008, 01:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Error code P1391

New to this site/forum, so any help is welcome. And thanks in advance.
To make a long story short, my 2001 PT Cruiser died on the road. It was towed to a dealer. They came back with the error code p1391 and said that the crank and cam sensors were bad.
THEN... said the plugs and wires needed to be replaced as well to the tune of (total) of $900
Does this sound of wack?
Old 20 Jul 2008, 02:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Error code P1391

rhsposta, Welcome to the Forum:. Sorry your post had to be about trouble.

Don't know about the crank and cam sensors, but either Auto Lite or Champion Plugs will run $10 - 15, and you want to get Performance wires from www.raceandstreet.com (Cranes) or from the dealer or auto parts store, not hard to replace.

I'm sure either MeanGreen or Crewzin will speak up about the sensors.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 20 Jul 2008, 03:07 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Sounds out of wack. Factory plugs are around $6 and wires around $50. Most dealers charge around $100 for install on these. So that leaves around $744 for the two sensors and labor. Get a price on the two sensors and labor. Remember, dealers all charge 30%-50% more than independent shops. The bummer when you tow your car to the dealer is the dealer knows you are stuck and can't drive away. I'd get a price from an independent shop. Might be cheaper to have your car towed there and have the work done. Also, if you do tow your car to an independent shop the dealer will charge you for diagnostics. Any way they can stick it to you they will. My advice to people who are out of warranty is to already have an independent shop in mind for any future problems.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 20 Jul 2008, 04:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Hi, the fault code they received from the computer says "intermittent loss of signal from "either" the CAM OR Camshaft sensor, not BOTH. If they told you both sensors have to be replaced, then it's just money they're looking for without further diagnostics to find out which sensor you really need if indeed you need the sensor at all. A few of us just had problems with the wiring harness and after that was fixed (without replacing the sensor) all was well.

It will be a lot of trouble to take it from the dealer to an independent mechanic plus the dealer will charge for the diagnostic fees anyway (as Mean Green said) but you will save money when fixing your problem if you know a trusted mechanic.

The choice is yours.
Jaimez likes this.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com

Last edited by CREWZIN; 20 Jul 2008 at 06:14 pm.
Old 21 Jul 2008, 07:15 am
Obsessed Cruiser

it does sound kinda high ??
Old 21 Jul 2008, 08:52 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Have them pinpoint which sensor and replace it. Buy the plugs and wires and either change them yourself or take it to a mechanic. If you do it yourself the plugs are to be gapped at .040, use dialectric grease on wires and anti seize on the plugs, torque to 13 foot pounds. Good luck!!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 22 Jul 2008, 08:50 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

OK. I'll weigh in on this. It is a good idea to replace both sensors. They both share the same power and ground If I remember correctly. One can make the other act up. There is also a flash available for a similar problem. $900 sounds a little high but with out knowing all the details... Ask them if that includes flashing the pcm to the latest and greatest.
Old 13 Apr 2010, 06:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hey CREWZIN can u let me know what exactly you did to the wire harness to fix your P1391 problem thank you
Old 13 Apr 2010, 06:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Matt,

Wow, you brought up a 2 years old thread.

I didn't do anything. My wires burnt out at 11pm at night on Route#95 in the middle of South Carolina. I had no tools or jacks, so I had my auto club tow the cruiser to the nearest Chrysler dealer. They diagnosed it the next morning as the Camshaft sensor and were about to change it out when the mechanic found the burnt wires. Apparently they run around the back of the engine and are held up by a $.02 white plastic clip, that broke and let the wires hang down low enough to touch a moving part burning out the casing of the wires and then a couple of the wires themselves. The mechanic soldered the wires back together, hung the harness back up and it's been running great for about 5 years now.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com

Last edited by CREWZIN; 13 Apr 2010 at 06:12 pm.