PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
How to use OBD-2 with Chrysler's enhanced features?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Jul 2008, 03:59 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default How to use OBD-2 with Chrysler's enhanced features?

Hello,

I am a new member from Austria/Europe and this is my first message here in the forum. First I have to excuse for my bad English, here in Austria we speak German as our native language...

I would be really interested if any of you is already owner of an OBD-2 interface for private use, and if so, which interface and software are you using?

Of special interest to me would be, if there is an affordable interface and software, that is able to handle the enhanced features, that Chrysler has implemented in the OBD-2 connection of the PT Cruiser. For that reason the OBD connector (at least on my 2003 PT) hast 4 extra pins, that would not be necessary for the standard OBD-2 functionality.

A list of those features (not special for the PT) can be found here: Chrysler Module List

Here in Europe, most discussions on OBD are reduced almost to VW/Audi, so I hope I can receive more help and information on that issue here.

Take care and thank's!

Georg
Old 21 Jul 2008, 05:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: How to use OBD-2 with Chrysler's enhanced features?

Welcome to the forum,

Sorry, can't help with the scanner, just a back-yard mechanic here and probably couldn't figure out how to use your the darn thing anyway.

Don't worry about your English or grammar. Your doing a heck of a lot better than some of the "supposedly" high school grads that have visited the forum lately.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 22 Jul 2008 at 08:00 am.
Old 22 Jul 2008, 02:14 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hello Crewzin,

thanks for your reply! 5 (hard) years of English at school should not simply disappear, even if that was almost 25 years ago.
At that time, nobody thought of sitting in his car with a laptop and trying to read out what the cars internals were doing. I still prefer to use a screwdriver to fix my car, but nowadays thats unfortunately not enough in some cases.
The PT is my first car with such extended electronic on-board stuff, so that new technology is completely new to me. But I decided it is a must-have!

And in the meanwhile it's not much more expensive than a good set of spanners and sockets...

Maybe there are other PT owners who use these things already and can tell me their experiences?

Georg
Old 22 Jul 2008, 06:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gschnu View Post
Hello Crewzin,

thanks for your reply! 5 (hard) years of English at school should not simply disappear, even if that was almost 25 years ago.
At that time, nobody thought of sitting in his car with a laptop and trying to read out what the cars internals were doing. I still prefer to use a screwdriver to fix my car, but nowadays thats unfortunately not enough in some cases.
The PT is my first car with such extended electronic on-board stuff, so that new technology is completely new to me. But I decided it is a must-have!

And in the meanwhile it's not much more expensive than a good set of spanners and sockets...

Maybe there are other PT owners who use these things already and can tell me their experiences?

Georg
Hello Georg! I recently purchased the Actron CP9145 scanner. Got it on Amazon for 99 dollars US,and that was the cheapest that I found. Nice unit-it will do everything I need and probably some things that I should not be playing with! You can even plug it in and drive with it and record live data,and if it throws a code it will provide a snapshot of all the parameters it monitors exactly when the code happened. I'm impressed with it. This is a great forum with helpful people and loads of information. I am new here myself and have been helped out a few times already. Good luck to you.
Old 23 Jul 2008, 02:40 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ado63 View Post
Hello Georg! I recently purchased the Actron CP9145 scanner. Got it on Amazon for 99 dollars US,.....
Hi ado63, that sounds good and is not too expensive! 'Though, I would prefer a laptop solution. And there are these Chrysler Enhanced features that this unit cannot handle.

I think the Actron products are only able to read/scan the engine management, but not all the other units like instrument cluster, A/C-control, Airbag/ABS etc., or am I wrong with that?

...any further OBD-2 experts out there?

Georg