PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Noise getting worse at right wheel(shaft maybe)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Jul 2008, 06:56 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Noise getting worse at right wheel(shaft maybe)

I just bought a used 2001 pt and now after a couple months I am hearing a noise at the front passenger side, jacked the car up an noticed that the wheel seems off ballanced and has a slight wobble.
The shaft (it think they call it a half shaft) that connects right to the wheel hub seems to have a slight wobble to it also.( I had the car on a jack left the drivers side wheel down on the pavement and passenger side jacked off the ground put the car in first and watched the rotation.

My question is what is involved in fixing this? If I had to replace the shaft closer to the wheel would I also have to replace the shaft on the other side of that joint (the round rubber joint wich by the way make a rubber squeeking sound when I break) I have no clue of what to replace at this point. I thought it was that break but then I noticed it gets more quiet with more weight in the car, also it gets louder when breaking but goes away when breaking hard, but is still noticeable when the car just roles freely.
Any Ideas??
Old 23 Jul 2008, 07:18 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Noise getting worse at right wheel(shaft maybe)

Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like the PT has been in a crash with a curb or if you definitely didn't hear anything from the time you bought it till now, my guess would be the wheel bearing is gone.

I think I've read where it has to be pressed on so not your typical driveway fix it project.
If it turns out to be the half shaft, you only have to replace one side, not both.

Have it looked at professionally...and have both sides checked out throughly.

P.S. You've only had it 2 months ....any guarantee come with it?

Last edited by CREWZIN; 23 Jul 2008 at 07:21 am.
Old 23 Jul 2008, 07:26 am
Fresh Cruiser

The sound was there when I got the car just it seems to be getting more louder and I can feel it throught the pedal as if the frame of the car is vibrating, sound is only at low speeds
mostly 25kms and under
The sound was there and I have a feeling as if it's getting itself more out of ballance. Or maybe that the joints are wearing down because of the wobble.

Also Do you know if your suppost to change both shafts on the one side or only the half shaft and not the intermediate shaft
Old 23 Jul 2008, 08:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Sorry, don't have an answer to that. Maybe someone will come along and help you out.
Old 23 Jul 2008, 11:59 am
Cool Cruiser

Have you tried switching the wheels on that side of the car front to back to see if that noise fallows the wheel? If it stays up front I would look at the hub bearing.
02' Black Woodie Limited Edition Drop in K&N Air Filter w/air box mod. 06 tail lights, Limo tint all around, orange LED interior, Mopar 8 inch sub, Stull side pipes. Silver stars upfront, a little chrome
Old 24 Jul 2008, 11:21 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcoach View Post
Have you tried switching the wheels on that side of the car front to back to see if that noise fallows the wheel? If it stays up front I would look at the hub bearing.
Mine (passenger side front) started sounding like a mild mud grip or a grooved road. I verified tire pressures but will rotate tires next.

I have been told there is a problem with my rack and pinion. It sounds "sloshy" and the steering wheel is out of alignment. I fear I messed something up when I replaced the bushings. Maybe I allowed the hub/shaft to slide too far out.

I heard that the slosh can be cured sometimes by purging the steering fluid somehow.
Old 25 Jul 2008, 06:46 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnt View Post
I heard that the slosh can be cured sometimes by purging the steering fluid somehow.
From Haynes:

Bleed the system by turning the wheels from side to side, without hitting the stops. This will work the air out of the system. Keep the resevoir full of fluid as this is done.

When the air is worked out of the system, return the wheels to the straight adead position and leave the vehicle running for several more minutes before shutting it off.

Road test to see if everything is functioning normally and free of noise.
Old 25 Jul 2008, 09:25 am
Fresh Cruiser

I took it to a friend's mechanic and he looked at it and told me it was the rotor because you could see the caliper moving... Bought new front rotors put them in and I'm not 100percent sure but I think the sound came back.
I lubed up everything on the breaking system and I guess when the grease wears thin the noise comes back

What I think is the problem is that the shaft is bent and when I break you hear the noice because the calipers squeese on the rotor and if the shaft is bent then the rotors will act as if they are crooked too, Please correct me if I'm wrong. The calipers are mounted to a non moving part so they will move in and out if anything on the shaft is of center.

If it is the shaft I just bought new rotors for nothing because the other ones look perfect as if the person before me changed the rotors too to try and fix the same problem.
In fact come to think about it alot of the replaceable parts on that side seem to be quite rescent
Old 25 Jul 2008, 11:50 am
Obsessed Cruiser

i think your are starting to see its the shaft with all the new parts in there and problem still there
Old 25 Jul 2008, 12:11 pm
Regular Cruiser

I doubt it's the shaft and/or CV joints b/c you will feel and/or hear nasty things when you turn when you're NOT braking.

If it only happens when you brake (vibrating/wobbling) w/your new rotors, then that's a real mystery.

Noise/squeek w/new pads/rotors is normal. Get some anti-squeek lub on the backside of your calipers if it bothers you that much.