Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Error code 601

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Jul 2008, 12:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Error code 601

2002 LE 31K orig owned miles. Runs great no problems.
My local Kragan store free of charge has diagnosed/reset/cleared Code 601 "Internal Computer Error" twice, but comes on immediatley upon restart. Been driving with engine light on over a month. (probably not a good thing)
Anybody heard of this problem?Dealer wants $125 just to run test.
If PCM is replaced at home does it have default settings or do I have to go to the dealer to get it flashed? Thanks.
Old 23 Jul 2008, 01:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Error code 601

Welcome to the forum. I found this from a certified Chrysler mechanic:

... a code P0601 with the description " Internal checksum for software failed, does not match calculated value". This sounds almost identical to what Autozone reported to you. The title of the code is "PCM (powertrain controller module) internal contoller failure". Unfortunately the repair listed is to "Replace and program the PCM in accordance with Service Information" Then "Perform Powertrain verification test VER-1" That test is fairly straight forward but the VIN and mileage have to be programmed into the replacement unit, otherwise a trouble code is set in ABS module (if equipped) airbag module, and SKIM (sentry key immobilizer, if equipped). All you do after that is start the vehicle and verify that there are no trouble codes noted. So it would seem you could get a controller off a used 2000 Chrysler with the same engine and transmission and just have to pay to update the VIN and mileage reading to reflect your present reading using the Chrysler Diagnostic Readout Box. The alternative is to buy a new one at the dealer and either plug it in yourself or pay them to plug it in (which is not complicated). Then just pay to have the VIN and mileage programmed in.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 23 Jul 2008, 03:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I pretty much expected that answer.Thanks for the replacement test info.
Found an online replacement parts place that wants $279+ ship & return, they will program the VIN but I still need the other tests completed, so to the dealer I must go anyhow. At $85 per hour they will probably take this gal to the cleaners. Thanks again.
Old 23 Jul 2008, 09:35 pm
Cool Cruiser

This has been covered in the past.

The PCM is faulty.
The PCM is covered by the 8 year 80K miles emissions warranty.
Chrysler will replace it for free!!!!!!
They may try to charge you for the diagnostic time, but they shouldn't. This is a clear cut code. No pinpoint tests are required.

End of story.
Old 24 Jul 2008, 12:32 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX-5 View Post
This has been covered in the past.

The PCM is faulty.
The PCM is covered by the 8 year 80K miles emissions warranty.
Chrysler will replace it for free!!!!!!
They may try to charge you for the diagnostic time, but they shouldn't. This is a clear cut code. No pinpoint tests are required.

End of story.
What he said. This is a don't pass go don't collect diagnosis time, Replace the PCM. ANd it should be covered under the 8/80 emissions warranty.
Old 26 Jul 2008, 10:28 am
Fresh Cruiser

I also found this out after my original posting. Only two parts covered under the Federal Emmissions Warranty law for 8yrs or 80,000 miles are the PCM and Catalytic converter. But what are the odds of having less than 80,000 after 6 years. Dealer quoted $589 for the PCM and $180 labor to replace. I feel soooo lucky, mine has only 31,480 original in 6yrs. so I'm covered. Hurray!
Old 13 Jul 2009, 11:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by COOLSILVER02NV View Post
I pretty much expected that answer.Thanks for the replacement test info.
Found an online replacement parts place that wants $279+ ship & return, they will program the VIN but I still need the other tests completed, so to the dealer I must go anyhow. At $85 per hour they will probably take this gal to the cleaners. Thanks again.
Where did you get your parts and what do those 3 letters stand for. Thanks
Old 14 Jul 2009, 10:52 am
Fresh Cruiser

Red face Re: Error code 601

The three letters are Powertrain Control Module. (aka brainbox). Its covered under the Federal Emissions Warranty of 8yr./80K miles. Since my 2002 (6yrs)only had 31,585 original miles I got the parts and labor FREE at the dealer last year. The other three letters Vehicle Identification Number.
You can Google PT Cruiser PCM or Chrysler PTCruiser parts online and there were a couple .coms
that shipped overnight that were way cheaper than what the dealer wanted in the parts dept. This was back in 2008.Sorry to hear Ur having the same trouble. Good Luck

Last edited by COOLSILVER02NV; 14 Jul 2009 at 10:58 am.