Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
starting up problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Jul 2008, 04:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default starting up problem

Hello im new to the forums but i have a 2003 and ever since i have gotten it we have had problems starting it up. well about a month ago we got a new battery put in and had the alternator checked and everything looked fine. but the other day we went to start it and it didnt want to start. any one know what might cause the battery to drain?

we have turned off all the interior lights and i can think of anything else that might cause the problem. thanks for any help on the issue.
Old 28 Jul 2008, 04:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: starting up problem

Welcome to the forum Pack Rat.

A little more information please. What is meant by "it didn't want to start"? Would it not turn over at all? Just a little bit? A couple of clicks? Yes, it's turning over but not catching? You say you turned off the interior lights ....were they on for awhile before you tried to start it?

Does a jump start from a good battery get you going again? Are you sure the battery is draining, did you put a test meter on it?

Did you buy it new or used? How long ago and how many miles on it? Do you know the history of the last tune up?

Don't mean to be nosey, but the more information we have to work with the better chance we can help you.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 28 Jul 2008 at 04:57 pm.
Old 28 Jul 2008, 05:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

A little more information please. What is meant by "it didn't want to start"? Would it not turn over at all? Just a little bit? A couple of clicks? Yes, it's turning over but not catching? You say you turned off the interior lights ....were they on for awhile before you tried to start it?

answer
it wouldnt even try to turn over at all. and no i had all the interior lights off thinking that i might have left them on and it drained the battery.

Does a jump start from a good battery get you going again? Are you sure the battery is draining, did you put a test meter on it?

answer
yes it jump starts from a battery and lasts a little while but after we let it sit over night it needs to be jumped again.

Did you buy it new or used? How long ago and how many miles on it? Do you know the history of the last tune up?

answer
got the car used ill double check the mileage tonight and post more and just got a tune up not to long ago from a reliable place.

Don't mean to be nosey, but the more information we have to work with the better chance we can help you.

no problem with being nosey its better cause i really didnt know what else to add in there.
Old 28 Jul 2008, 05:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

OK, here's a older thread about batteries that kept dying...

Dead Battery???? I think not...

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 07 Aug 2008, 11:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hello,

Looks like I'm not alone. Same problem here, only charging battery does not help.

This past weekend I purchased a 2002 4-door (chop/manual Convertible) Touring Edition with less than 18K miles. Since the car has obviously been sitting so much, I expected some problems. Before I could get the car home, it failed to start, after starting at least 10 times earlier in the day.

There was one click. All inside power systems, lights, etc. worked fine. We tried jumping it off, no luck. The concensus was the starter. We had the car towed to only local svc. center open on Sunday. They tested the battery & even though I wanted it replaced due to age & sitting idle, svc. guys said didn't need one. They determined it was bad starter & replaced with reman. from only parts store open & in stock on Sunday.

Made the drive home without turning off the car. Next morning, same exact problem. One click. Local chain svc. center said they'd warranty the starter repairs & to try banging on the starter to save another tow bill. Instead I put the car in & out of gear a few times since someone told me maybe it wasn't all way in Park. After a few more tries, it started.

Svc. Ctr. replaced the starter & said all good to go, still told me my battery was fine. I wanted a new one. I asked both svc. centers if all the wires/connections, etc. were ok. Called dealership & they recommended a new battery anyway due to the age & lack of use. Haven't replaced yet.

Drove the car yesterday, stopped/started fine @ 4 times. Today it refused to start on my 2nd trip, same single click. Banged on the starter, tried several more times before it started.

When I got home, my husband started it with no problem several times. He thinks it's in the ignition (banging starter & putting in/out of gear just coincidences) & that I'm not putting the key in all the way or with enough force. These are NOT the original keys. They have Jeep heads, but we do appear to have original keyless entry. Could it be a security thing? These are the hardest keys to remove of any vehicle I've ever had. Read in the owner's manual about the lock position, but it's still very hard to remove.

I've been reading some other forums about "possessed" PT's & I believe I have one.

Should I start with the battery? What are the odds of 2 starters going out within three days?? Could the chop job have anything to do with it, or just in a connection/relay or the ignition? Don't find anything for power drain or any lights staying on.

Thanks for your help! My husband thinks I bought a l-e-m-o-n.
Old 08 Aug 2008, 05:42 am
Obsessed Cruiser

welcome to the board sorry first posts are problem ones
Old 08 Aug 2008, 06:56 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the Forum, both of you. Sorry your early posts had to ask about a problem with your PT's.

NCdogma, you mention that you do not have the original keys. It is possible that the starting problem starts there. The replacement keys are very expensive when you go to the dealer, but you may have to bite the bullet and go there. There is a security chip in each key that the PT recognizes to start and you mention the keys are either loose or tight, not sure which you mean.

Another thing I'm not sure of is the term:chop job. Was this a HOT car you purchased or is it a rebuilt?

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 08 Aug 2008, 06:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Smile Re: starting up problem

Thanks for the welcome guys!

Hooligan, the top was chopped off/modified in California to make it a convertible in '03--no, I don't think it's hot. It would be a tough getaway car given all the ignition/starting issues.

Today I called local dealership about a battery & heat sleeve (are those really necessary?) & also about getting new keys made. Parts Mgr. informed me my keys probably ARE original even though the heads show "Jeep", they are thick gray plastic. PT was originally sold at a Jeep/Chrysler dealership & he says they probably used both logos sometimes.

But he thinks the problem is the ignition cylinder since it is very hard to remove the keys. The key wiggles? more than usual to get it into starting position. Only way I know to describe it. And it is very hard to remove, even in the Locked position. Feels like I'm gonna yank out the cylinder with the key sometimes.

So, with much more pressure inserting the key & slowly turning it, all worked ok today. But the cylinder does seem to be loose or not contacting exactly as should with my keys. Dealership said they can re-program the existing keys for the new cylinder, if it does need to be replaced, and he thinks that will solve the problem. They couldn't look at it today.

Did buy a 6026R battery from NAPA--should that work ok? I know I'll feel more comfortable & confident driving the car alone with a new battery given its age & lack of use.

Thanks again. Yes, I'm sorry I had to post & run. But I've been wanting a PT convertible for a while, and found some '05's in my price range, but my husband suggested a 4-door. And it had to be purple. I think I'll be very happy with the car when this starting issue is resolved. Bugs me most that I've paid for a starter I probably didn't need (plus extra trips to have the replacement replaced under warranty), but I was four hours from home & had to get back with the car on a Sunday.
Old 08 Aug 2008, 07:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I now understand a little more now, yes it sounds as if the cylinder should be changed. The keys for my 2002, 2006 and now my 2008 all have been black, but as long as it works go for it. Getting one of the remodeled "chopped" convertibles is a feat in itself, not many of those were made to my knowledge.
Congratulations on the "Chopped" PT Convertibles.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 08 Aug 2008, 08:46 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I'll weigh in on this one.
First. The keys you have are NOT original. Original keys will have the Chrysler Logo. The keys you have will work though. They are all the same inside. You have what is called a Sentry Key Immobilizer Module. The key has a RFI transponder in it that communicates with the SKIM and PCM. It is an anti theft feature. If you have power locks then more than likely you do have keyless entry. Not 100 percent certain but pretty close. You can get remotes off Ebay or at a dealership. I would recommend the dealership just so you know the part is right. They will probably charge you 1/2 hour labor to program them. If they try to charge more than that they are trying to rip you off.
Second.
The hard starting issue could very well be a key cylinder. They have a bad habit of going bad and seizing up. When they do that alot times you lose the key unless you are lucky. Get that replaced at the same time you get remotes and they will probably give you a little discount. Do it now before it locks the key in the cylinder. If not then you will get charged extra because it is a PITA to get it out and replace the cylinder then.