PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
code p0135

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Jul 2008, 07:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Angry code p0135

Hello,

This is my first posting ... unfortunately after 30 days of owning a 2003 pt touring I got a check engine light .

It's P0135

The code meaning as found on this forum (which is great by the way)
P0135 HO2S Heater Performance Bank 1 Sensor 1

Any ideas on what should I do? Is it a bad 02 sensor?
Cost? How critical is it? My milage is 53000... I guess I still have the powertrain waranty but I'm not sure if this is covered.

Thanks !!!!
Old 31 Jul 2008, 06:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: code p0135

Can anyone shed some light on this?
Is this something that I could repair myself ? (I'm used to small to medium level repairs)
Old 31 Jul 2008, 06:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the forum.

Do you live in a state with emissions testing? If so, it could effect the test. It could also cause some problems because the computer uses the sensors to regulate air and fuel.

It's not too difficult to get at (I've never actually had to change it) but if you look down the back of the engine near the firewall, you can see it.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 31 Jul 2008, 07:31 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ucantcme Send a message via MSN to ucantcme Send a message via Skype™ to ucantcme

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Welcome to the forum.

Do you live in a state with emissions testing? If so, it could effect the test. It could also cause some problems because the computer uses the sensors to regulate air and fuel.

It's not too difficult to get at (I've never actually had to change it) but if you look down the back of the engine near the firewall, you can see it.

How am I supposed to do that?

The PT has 2.5 cubic inches of work space, give or take an inch....

My Baby:
01' Taupe Limited PT Cruiser w/ rear spoiler, Drop in K&N Air Filter, Limo tint all around, blue neon interior, blue LED windshield nozzles,
In-dash CD/DVD/Radio made by Jensen, Vent Visors, Chrome Antenna Bezel, Chrome Grille inserts, Dual Catback Exhaust, Scan Gauge II,
back-up camera, and a system containing 2 Lanzar 15" subwoofers and an MA Audio 1800watt amplifier.

Check me out on Car Domain!
Old 31 Jul 2008, 07:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucantcme View Post
How am I supposed to do that?
The PT has 2.5 cubic inches of work space, give or take an inch....

Hey, If I can back there and clean that area and I put a chrome wire loom on the O2 sensors wire when I was doing the show circuit, you can change the sensor.

Actually, I read somewhere that you may be able to change the sensor from under the car. Never tried so don't know if that's true. Hey, if a tech at the dealer can do it, we have to be able to do it too.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 31 Jul 2008, 07:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

crewzin thanks for the response.... also thanks to the other guy who can't reach in the back of the engine for chiming in ...

- you say that if I change the 02 sensor this problem will go away, the only reason that I'm asking this again because the code readout states something about the circuit... so are you sure that it's the 02 sensor itself and not some wire or sensor outside the actual o2 sensing unit?

- any idea where's the best place to buy it? dealer? auto-zone?

thanks much!
Old 31 Jul 2008, 07:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Bank 1 sensor 2 would be the 02 sensor by the CAT. You did get the code for the front sensor.

To make sure it wasn't a fluke, disconnect the negative battery terminal for about 5 minutes. That will clear all codes and you can see if the same one comes back on.

Everyone sells the 02 sensors. The dealer will have the highest price. Auto Zone or NAPA or discount Auto, they'll all sell them.

You asked abut warranty. It wouldn't be covered under the Powertrain but maybe under the emissions warranty. My CAT front fitting broke at 47K and they wouldn't cover it until I went on one of the PT forums and told my story and was told that the emissions warranty till 50K should cover it. Went back with info on hand and they got me a new one. I think nowadays the emissions warranty goes to 80K so you might check on that.

Found this...........Design and Defect Warranty Coverage for 1995 and newer light-duty vehicles:

* Emission control and emission related parts are covered for the first 2 years or 24,000 miles of vehicle use; and
* Specified major emission control components are covered for the first 8 years or 80,000 miles of vehicle use.

Here's the link to that page about warranties. It goes further and into detail about parts but I'll let you read it.

Information on Manufacturers emissions Warranties for 1995 Newer Cars and Trucks | On-Board Diagnostics (OBD) | US EPA

Last edited by CREWZIN; 31 Jul 2008 at 08:00 pm.
Old 31 Jul 2008, 07:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: code p0135

thanks much!!!
Old 04 Aug 2008, 08:03 am
Fresh Cruiser

I did a code reset and it came back quickly. Same code... The car now is stalling in neutral (manual).
I checked for 02 sensors online and what's confusing to me is that they wary in the number of "wires" from 1-4??? How do I know which one I need?
Old 04 Aug 2008, 09:17 am
Obsessed Cruiser

My 2001 has 4 wires but that really doesn't hep you. I'd get friendly with a Chrysler parts manager and ask to see one for your particular vehicle.