Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Oil Gauge Installation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Feb 2002, 10:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Oil Gauge Installation

I am trying to install an Autometer electrical oil gauge in the pillar pod. I have already installed the electrical wires, but I have not hooked up the sending unit or the wire to it. The sending unit that came with the gauge did not fit in the engine block so I bought a fitting that would adapt.
My question is, can I just screw the new sending unit in and hook up the wire from the new gauge and leave off the old wire from the oil light? I was told that leaving the wire unhooked would send a message to the PCM that there was no oil in the car and the car would shut down. I did unhook the wire and the car ran fine.Can anyone give me any HELLLLLLLLP? Thanks.

Old 15 Feb 2002, 09:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

PLEASE tell me what adapter you got and where you got it. I'm having no luck getting the right adapter to install the oil gauge sender. HELP!!!

Cruiserjim: 5 speed black Limited; ABS/4-whl discs; 17" wheels/tires; Progress sway bars and strut tower brace; H&R springs; Xenon bumper covers fr/rr; Bassani duals; home-made intake mod; lots of other goodies!
Old 16 Feb 2002, 12:48 am
Fresh Cruiser

Wow, finally someone responded to my question. Althought I did not get an answer. I guess I answered it myself. The sending unit has been installed for four days and everything seems to be functioning fine.
P.S. Cruiserjim I will get back to about the adapter as soon as I fine out where my nephew bought it. I really find it odd that the companys that we purchase these PT parts do not include or carry these adapters.

Old 19 Feb 2002, 08:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The adapter for the oil sending unit is called a pipe fitting. It is brass with a 3/8" inside diameter and a 5/8" outside diameter. There are 18 threads per inch. Any good auto parts store should carry this part. Most parts stores will have this in stock ,but might not want to bother to look for it. Be forceful and you should get it.

Old 25 Feb 2002, 08:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

If you do not wire up the secondary cable your engine light will come up, what you have to do is remove the factory connector on the block and replace it with a T connector..make sure you have the right threading on it and. This way you're happy because your oil pressure gauge works and your ECM does not freak out.

-SS Cruiser
Baddest Cruiser around ( Second to Bob's ofcourse )