Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Clicking/Grinding when turing the wheel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Jul 2008, 10:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Clicking/Grinding when turing the wheel

Hello - My cruiser has 75k on it, and for the last couple of months, when I turn slightly like backing out of a parking spot, and when hitting small bumps like speedbumps, I can hear a noise by the wheels that sounds like griding or bending.

I took it to PepBoys but they couldn't really figure it out so they want to replace the whole front end which will include struts, mounts, and lower ball joints. All that costs $1200!!

Can anyone tell me which part it is?? I am sure it is not all three parts. I think they get commission or something.

Please help.
Samantha
Old 31 Jul 2008, 10:17 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ucantcme Send a message via MSN to ucantcme Send a message via Skype™ to ucantcme
Default Re: Clicking/Grinding when turing the wheel

Check your wheel bearings and your lower control arm bushings. Both parts are prone to go out on Cruiser's.

Both parts, costs less than $500 to fix....$500 to fix both items. Let us know what you find out.

My Baby:
01' Taupe Limited PT Cruiser w/ rear spoiler, Drop in K&N Air Filter, Limo tint all around, blue neon interior, blue LED windshield nozzles,
In-dash CD/DVD/Radio made by Jensen, Vent Visors, Chrome Antenna Bezel, Chrome Grille inserts, Dual Catback Exhaust, Scan Gauge II,
back-up camera, and a system containing 2 Lanzar 15" subwoofers and an MA Audio 1800watt amplifier.

Check me out on Car Domain!
Old 01 Aug 2008, 06:57 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the forum.

If it was a clicking sound from the steering, Chrysler has put out 3 TSB's on steering wheel problems but you say it's by the wheels and it's grinding or bending.

Your first mistake was "Pep Boys". They, and lots of other shops like that, are out to sell you as many parts as possible. You may get the part you need along with others you didn't.

Just guessing, and as Ucantcme just said, it sounds like wheel bearings. Find a trustworthy shop (ask your neighbors for recommendations). Many shops will do the diagnostic for free.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 01 Aug 2008, 04:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

tie rod ends ?? or wheel bearings
Old 01 Aug 2008, 05:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

$$$$'s to donuts it is: Wheel bearings

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 01 Aug 2008, 05:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Talking Re: Clicking/Grinding when turing the wheel

OK Hooligan! "You're On"!
You put up $12; and I'll put up a dozen donuts!

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 01 Aug 2008, 07:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Somebody say Dounts, now your talkin.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 01 Aug 2008, 08:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Crewzin, you should be the one who knows donuts, being you drive a sheriff's car.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 01 Aug 2008, 08:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Na. Whatever you heard about law enforcement and donuts is a tale whipped up by the motion picture industry.

I prefer Belgian waffles with fresh strawberries and whipped cream.

Old 05 Aug 2008, 09:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the response...I am going to buy the bearings and have them installed this weekend...I will try to post an update.