PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
engine stalls or stutters while in idle or stopped with a/c on, but not with a/c off

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Aug 2008, 11:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to traumadude376
Default engine stalls or stutters while in idle or stopped with a/c on, but not with a/c off

engine stalls or stutters while in idle or stopped with a/c on, but not with a/c off. I found some info. that it may be related to the radiator fan motor relay , or the sensor near the thermostat???? any help would be nice. where do you find a repair manuel for the same veh.??
Old 03 Aug 2008, 03:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: engine stalls or stutters while in idle or stopped with a/c on, but not with a/c

my car does this as well, and it did not do it before my wife rear ended someone and the auto body shop repaired the A/C and teh Radiator plus all the front body that was damaged! they did a horrible job!@ anyway anyone that could answer this question would kick ass!

p.s. Is it just because the engine lacks power lol??
Old 03 Aug 2008, 04:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: engine stalls or stutters while in idle or stopped with a/c on, but not with a/c

Quote:
Originally Posted by traumadude376 View Post
engine stalls or stutters while in idle or stopped with a/c on, but not with a/c off. I found some info. that it may be related to the radiator fan motor relay , or the sensor near the thermostat???? any help would be nice. where do you find a repair manuel for the same veh.??
traumadude376, Welcome to the Forum!! To bad your first post had to do with a problem. As far as the Manual goes, do a search as there is a manual posted on the Forum> Good Luck!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 03 Aug 2008, 04:15 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Ok... I'll diagnose this this one telepathically! Your radiator fan is not working properly. What happens is there is not enough airflow at idle when the a/c is on. That builds high head pressure in the system and causes the stutter. You will need a radiator fan and probably have the a/c system recharged because it probably has vented due to high pressure. Seen it numerous times!
Old 11 Aug 2008, 09:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to traumadude376

ok, the fan comes on when the a/c is on and off when the a/c is off. a/c cools after several miles. compressor does not click on and off. when a/c on compressor clicks on. Wife said she sometime hears a pop when she turns a/c on. in the heat of the day (about 100 degrees) does not seem to cool at all.
Old 11 Aug 2008, 10:21 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I'm still leaning towards the fan. The low speed may function but the high speed may not be working. Also sounds like the a/c charge is low. If you can look under the car look at the a/c compressor. Look at the line underneath and see if it looks wet or oily. If so then the high pressure vent has vented. The fan can be a little harder to diagnose because it has 2 speeds and runs on low speed.
Old 12 Aug 2008, 12:15 am
Cool Cruiser

agree with slarty. just had this problem, dealer replaced the fan assy. problem cured.