Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
New PT Owner Has Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Aug 2008, 12:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default New PT Owner Has Questions

My wife and I bought a new (to us) 2007 PT Cruiser Touring Ed. Had only 19k miles. We are approaching the 28k mark and I can't help but wonder what are the first things we should be doing to improve upon the performance and mileage. We get about 18-20 MPG (which kinds blows) and it occasionally 'pauses' when I stomp on the gas. The engine doesn't sputter or anything, it just doesn't respond quite right.

My question is what is the first thing I should do to this car right out of the box to make it kick all the butt it should?

Thanks!
Old 03 Aug 2008, 01:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: New PT Owner Has Questions

Welcome to the forum!
First thing I would suggest for a new "enthusiast" or performance question is to look at the posts on the subject.
Second - soonercruiser is a 2006 NA Touring with 26K miles. The only thing I have done to her is an aftermarket AirRaid air box, and I get aroung 24 the city; and have gotten 29 (the sticker) on the highway on long trips.
#1 hesitation problem is plugs & wires The OEM ingniton is notoriously poor quality, and usually the first performance mod. Check our "Race&Street.com" for Crane wires & a selection of plugs.

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 03 Aug 2008, 01:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: New PT Owner Has Questions

Welcome to the forum.

As Soonercruiser mentioned, an aftermarket air intake or clearing up the airway with a drop in K&N and other small things will not only enhance performance but it get get rid of that "pause" when you step on it.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 03 Aug 2008, 01:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Ineffable_Jeff Welcome to the Forum!!
What is the first thing I should do to this car right out of the box to make it kick all the butt it should?
If that is the reason you bought a PT, I hate to burst your bubble. Kick "BUTT" is all in your mind!!! The PT is a good vehicle but it isn't a great car to kick but in.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 03 Aug 2008, 01:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Hooligan is 100% correct. It will keep up with 99% of traffic and reach about 110mph on a long open highway (don't tell ANYONE I told you that), but if your looking to "kick butt" you should have looked around for the HO (High Output) Turbo PT. They will walk away from a V8 Rustang in the 1/4 mile.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 03 Aug 2008, 02:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank to all for the great replies and info. I have much to do.

Hooligan: What I mean by kicking butt is what is needed to enhance the poor performance that I had listed above. It's a family car, not a racer. I just hate it when pauses in the middle of an intersection with oncoming traffic, which decidedly does NOT kick any butt.
Old 03 Aug 2008, 04:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Oh, I knew it was a family car, this is our 3rd one, it is also our show car as well.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar