Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

AWD PT?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Aug 2008, 09:12 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to Ironman
Default AWD PT?

This thought occurred to me after I read my brother in law's latest tuner magazine and was completely appalled by the lack of American autos in the articles. Has anybody thought of, or actually put an AWD system into a PT? What would it take? Any ideas? Could you steal a system from a stealth, or an avenger and make it work in a PT? well just a thought from my crazy messed up mind.
Old 03 Aug 2008, 09:42 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: AWD PT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
This thought occurred to me after I read my brother in law's latest tuner magazine and was completely appalled by the lack of American autos in the articles. Has anybody thought of, or actually put an AWD system into a PT? What would it take? Any ideas? Could you steal a system from a stealth, or an avenger and make it work in a PT? well just a thought from my crazy messed up mind.
Man... If someone did that then turned it into a kit... I would die to have one. I would build a WRC spec PT!
Old 05 Aug 2008, 01:04 am
Cool Cruiser

The closest thing that I can think of is the Dodge Caravans. They were AWD from I think 92-03? I know they went from 1st gen, to third gen, but not into current body style. They use the same 41TE transmission, however I don't know if they have the same bellhousing, you may have to adapt something. They adapt something on the tranny to tap the power out. They have a center diff that is vacuum actuated and can send something like 40% torque to the rear wheels. It's hard to get parts for though, and I doubt you'd find too many of those vans in the States as they were mostly for snowy areas, although I guess the right States have their share of the white crap too.

You'd need to find a wrecked AWD minivan.
You'd need to research the bellhousing if it bolts up or not.
You'd need to sort out the electronics, not sure if it has a separate computer for that or not.
You'd need a spot for the rear driveshaft and the center diff.
You'd have to fab in a new rear axle.
The system might not take high amounts of HP.

That might be some food for thought. Try searching too, I think it has been discussed a few times.

Ben
2001 Red PT Cruiser Limited, 16" OEM alloys, Airaid CAI, Screamin' Demon coil and Livewires, some shiny stuff inside, Alpine deck, Alpine four channel amp, Alpine PLT5 sub, Hertz speakers in 4 corners, Keystone ram air hood, 6000k 55w HID high beams, 6000k 35w HID fog lights, new stone chips every day to add character.

2007 Suzuki King Quad 700 4x4 for when the road gets bumpy.

Old 06 Aug 2008, 04:20 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I have a different approach to this idea. When you think about the task at hand, there is a ton of work on every part of the drive-train, as all of it would be replaced. My thoughts are that if that is the case, why not upgrade? Get the motor, tranny, electronics, brakes, heck pretty much everything from a Mitsubishi WRX STI. Mount the engine and front drive components, then the rear drive components, then you can see if the axle needs to be lengthened or shortened accordingly (same with the axles to the wheels.) At that point, you just have to figure out how to get the gearbox and the steering to hook up. The enormity of this project would make it a money pit, but it sure is fun to think about!
Old 06 Aug 2008, 06:28 pm
Regular Cruiser

Keep dreamin'.

Easier to just have a V8/RWD PT, which has been done:

2002 Chrysler Pt Cruiser Engine View Photo
Old 06 Aug 2008, 08:46 pm
Cool Cruiser

Sorry I have to be a jerk and bring it up. But could you show me a pick of a Mitsubishi WRX STi? Lol! The Mitsu is the Evo, the WRX is a Subaru.

It would be a great platform to work with, either of them. Just as you said, work intensive and expensive. They have cool things, like you can proportion the torque as you'd like it between axles. I saw one at a local dragstrip. It does a RWD burnout like a normal car, then immediately killed whatever it was against by about 2 lengths off the line as it spun all four wheels for about 2 feet!

Ben
2001 Red PT Cruiser Limited, 16" OEM alloys, Airaid CAI, Screamin' Demon coil and Livewires, some shiny stuff inside, Alpine deck, Alpine four channel amp, Alpine PLT5 sub, Hertz speakers in 4 corners, Keystone ram air hood, 6000k 55w HID high beams, 6000k 35w HID fog lights, new stone chips every day to add character.

2007 Suzuki King Quad 700 4x4 for when the road gets bumpy.

Old 08 Aug 2008, 09:40 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleverklutz View Post
Sorry I have to be a jerk and bring it up. But could you show me a pick of a Mitsubishi WRX STi? Lol! The Mitsu is the Evo, the WRX is a Subaru.

It would be a great platform to work with, either of them. Just as you said, work intensive and expensive. They have cool things, like you can proportion the torque as you'd like it between axles. I saw one at a local dragstrip. It does a RWD burnout like a normal car, then immediately killed whatever it was against by about 2 lengths off the line as it spun all four wheels for about 2 feet!

Ben
well here are pictures of the older gen of STi and the brand new one. I personally prefer the previous STi due to me being a huge rally fan!

Previous:

Current:

Last time I went to the strip there was what seemed to be a group of friends with souped up 4 bangers. Consisted of an srt4 neon, WRX STi, evo VIII (I think) and some less worthy imports (del sol, etc...) The hot srt4, WRX, and evo all ripped off pretty good times, but the del sol actually backed off when facing my nearly stock pt... I don't know why. We were pre-staged, then he looks over at me, and reverses...

Last edited by PTmodrod; 08 Aug 2008 at 09:46 am.
Old 13 Apr 2012, 07:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

hate to dredge up an old topic,being a newbie,but if someone not necessarily me found a banged up caliber wouldn't this work??? it's only 7/10 of an inch longer in wheelbase,sorry just thinking out loud.
Old 13 Apr 2012, 07:58 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Or you can try the Jeep liberty AWD.

227 HP and 281 TQ

new best of 14.56 1/4 mile on 7/25/12 still using the canned tune from my diablosport predator.

*Stage 1, DSP w/93 canned tune, 3" o2 housing, 3" FWDPerformance downpipe with cutout. Bwoody solid mounts. AMX1397 TTAB with K&n drop in filter and airbox mod. AMX1397 lower pipe and AMX1397 uppipe with HKS BOV
* stock nsrt rims powdercoated black, chrome pillars.
* 3 gauge pod w/ aem wideband, Autometer ultralite oil pressure and 30/30 boost, Mopar 8" sub.*

Old 15 Apr 2012, 02:13 pm
Cool Cruiser

if you find a awd caliber you need the following

transaxle (same as pt, different housing)
all linkages, shifter and trans mounts (to match up to the different housing
awd wiring harness (seperate from standard harness)
awd computer
awd relay box
complete rear axle,mounts
lot of modifications will need to be made in the fuel tank,and exhaust on the pt.to make room for the larger rear suspension setup. shock towers will need to be moved or the wheels will sit too far forward of the wheelwell and rub the front
also going to need to modify alot of the front end to accept the heavier awd parts

i took all the measurements from my moms awd caliber, its very possible but would be much easier to swap the whole chassis and driveline from the caliber and basically have a pt body on a caliber running gear and drivetrain the caliber engine is the same width and depth so it will fit the radiator is slightly larger but there is enough room there and the radiator support at the bottom could be swapped out with a little work damn im ready to try this