Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Dyno time

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Aug 2008, 09:27 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Dyno time

As some of you may have been following my build. I started work on a 06 NA PT. I wanted to see what kind of power I can make from a NA PT. I am finally getting the car on the dyno tomorrow to start tuning. Here are the mods for tomorrow.

Ported and shaved head to raise compression, Crane #12 cams, Fid cam gears, ported TB, intake, underdrive pulley, demon ignition coil, crane wires, +4 plat plugs, stock manifold dumping into a custom 2.5" exhaust running dual pipes on each side of the car. 225/18 and 245/18 tires. Lots of body mods. 3,100 Watt sound system. Yes it is huge and heavy. No back seats in car now.

I will get the dyno numbers on this combination. I will then connect up the Apexi Neo and remove the counter shafts and do another pull a few days later.

Lastley, I have a 75hp nitrous shot to bolt on. With all of these diferent combinations I will be able to post diferent Dyno pulls and see what works on a NA PT and what does not.

Last edited by Deathstar; 03 Aug 2008 at 09:56 pm.
Old 04 Aug 2008, 03:09 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Dyno time

Just ran on the dyno, looks promissing but not what I hoped for yet. Seems that a lot of tunning needs to be done. Here are the numbers.

Stock HP at 5300 RPM = 105whp
Stock Torque 128lbs at 4300RPM

With above mods at 5300RPM I got = 130whp
The Torque was 133lbs but was greatly extended and was still peaking at the 5300rpm shift point.

This is still pretty far off from what I was expecting. But I believe I know the first issue and that is the car is dropping power at 5300RPM to perform the upshift. The crane cams are designed to do max HP at 7300RPM. With my automatic, I can't get there. So the first step is to try to change the shift point. I ran a trend report against the hp/rpm to see if all things are consistant, what power the car would make at the wheels at 7200RPM. That number is 189hp at the wheels.

The other problem I see is that the care is running VERY lean untill it gets to 4750rpms then it is more in line. I would have expected it to be very rich from the factory. I am thinking that the ported heads, TB and the like are breathing a lot heavier and the ECU is not compensating for this at the lower rpms. Will try to fix with the NEO.

I will be doing some tunning soon and will see what numbers we can get over the next few weeks.

Last edited by Deathstar; 04 Aug 2008 at 03:37 pm.
Old 30 Aug 2008, 06:46 pm
Cool Cruiser

All this time, I didn't realize you were doing all this work to an automatic.

A 25WHP return is pretty darned good on N/A though, regardless. What gear did you do the roadtest in then? Any automatic I've ever known will let you max RPM if you keep the gear selector in a lower gear. If you were to do the test in third, I would ASSUME it would let you max out RPM if you disabled the overdrive. I know on any auto I've driven, I could definitely do that in second gear, at least if the gear selector had a "2" to put the shifter into.

I am accumulating parts for a little power testing of my own on my 2007 N/A, but with a manual tranny. I've got some Crane Cams 14's I'm going to try (decided best if I decide to go turbo later on), have a crank scraper on the way, am going to disconnect the balance shafts, then get my throttle body puched from 49mm to 55mm. If I can make 25WHP, I'll be very happy. With my coilover setup, should make the car fun to drive.
Old 30 Dec 2008, 11:17 am
Regular Cruiser

Hi Deathstar - long time no talk!

Remember me? I'm the guy who decided to do similar porting/decking a cam work to my PT based off your project. It's been a while now so I'll remind you of what I did to my '03 N/A 4-speed PT:

-Shaved cylinder head to achieve a 10:1 comp ration (up from 9.4:1 stock)
-Ported cylinder head intake and exhaust ports, opened up to gasket maximum
-Installed Crane #10 camshafts, and still using stock cam gears

My initial goals with this project were to do the following:

1. Make my PT a bit more "fun to drive" but not sacrafice too much fuel economy. I had hoped to add about 20-25 HP and 20-30 ft. lbs of torque - After the mods and about 5,000 miles I can safely say the work has been positive experience.

-The car generally idles very well (only an extreme geek could notice the difference)

-The acceleration has been noticeably improved, though I can't give you actual data, I haven't been to the track or dyno yet. I would guess mabey somewhere between 0.5 and 1.0 second quicker over a quarter mile sprint.
The kick down acceleration (at speed) is what is really impressive now - she passes people like they're standing still -typcally in say a three car length passing manuver I go from 55 to 80 very easily.

-The torque curve I agree is broader now than before -especially on the lower to mid end (2-4K RPM). This is only based on the pull I feel btw so it's not very scientific, but I had this car for 5 years stock....so I think I know the difference. It's really impressive if you run it in 3rd gear at 45-60 MPH, it takes only a slight push of the pedal to give you loads of increased forward momentum (even in over-drive the available torque is more noticeable). It actually it reminds me of turbo cars I've had/ridden in past.

-A common hill I climb every day used to cause a 4th to 3rd downshift to maintain 55 MPH, now it just climbs it in over-drive without a problem.

2. Do not degrade my fuel economy more than 10%.

- After about 5k miles I can say the fuel economy has been negatively affected, part of this is because it is more fun to drive - I speed more and accelerate harder more often. Generally I'm getting about 23-25 MPG these days but I can do better if I want to (read on).

-However, when I run her nice-n-easy for a full tank on my work commute (400+ miles per week) I can still come in around 25-27 MPG which I think is pretty respectable.

There have been some problems though:

At some point after the initial work was done I started getting MIL lights on the dash, this happened to come up as a code P0171 (rich or lean condition on fuel trim bank 1). I was told this means the car was running lean, which would verify what you found on your dyno runs - especially becasue you are running the larger cams with the ported TB (of which I do not have).

However I also found out that the shop did not disconnect the computer after the work was done. I disconnected it recently and since I did that the code has only come up once (but that is in over 1,000 miles of driving). The computer re-leared the cams and improved flow characteristics and has been performing better than ever since that time. - Have you gotten this code as well?

Also recently here in Northern IL the temps were in the single digits for a week or so - MAN was she making some awesome power during that time. I wish I could have taken her to the track on some of those days (high temps around 1 or 2 degrees F). Not sure what that means - I know turbo cars are very sensitive to this, but I was surprised to see the N/A react to it. - Any thoughts on why?

It's possible that becasue my set up is a bit more tame than yours, I could be getting better or worse results - unfortunately without the dyno data we can't say for sure. But I wanted to give you an update on my project and get your thoughts so we could compare notes.

Look forward to hearing back from you.

Tom

Base '03, Light Almond Pearl Metallic - Modified 2.4 na w/ported head, 10.4:1 compression ratio & Crane #10 camshafts - 4 speed - Energy Poly bushings - Napa ceramic pads & Ultra premium rotors - Rotora Stainless brake lines - Extreme Acc. Xenon HID 8k low & 6k high

Dark taupe & Ivory Interior, Factory CD w/Sirius Stratus 4, Power Acoustik 840w 4ch, Boss 200w 2ch w 10" bandpass sub, 2 sets Phoniex Gold Matched comp. speakers

Rolling stock: 16" SE A7w 225/50/16 Kuhmo Ecsta AST - One of the nicest Light Almond PT's you'll find
Old 30 Dec 2008, 08:38 pm
Young Cruiser

Hey Tom,
Good to hear your project is doing well. I have been busy with some other stuff but hope to get back to the final tunning of my car. I think I can easily get another 15hp after tunning the cams and fixing the extreme lean condition. One thing that does hurt is I only get about 17mpg now. Part of that is bad tuning, the other is as you said, I can't keep my foot out of it. :-)

The lake pipes that run down the side of the car really turns heads. It sounds great although it creates a loud drone sound in the car. Causes me to turn the 3,100watt sound system up one more notch. ;-)
Old 20 May 2009, 04:26 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Crane cams: Availability for PT's....?

Hey Deathstar, hope your project is going well.

Did you see this story earlier this year? Apparently Crane Cams went out of business suddenly in March...(read on)

SCCAForums.com - Crane Cams.....out of business!

But then the same guy had a link a few days later to this Autoweek story saying they would be re-opening:

Crane Cams says it plans to reopen after restructuring: AutoWeek Magazine

I called the phone number today and it sounds like they are open for business!

But I checked Jegs & Summit today and they don't list camshafts for PT's anymore! Anyway, in case we wanted to upgrade (again) we may have to go through Crane direct.

Just FYI...

Tom

Base '03, Light Almond Pearl Metallic - Modified 2.4 na w/ported head, 10.4:1 compression ratio & Crane #10 camshafts - 4 speed - Energy Poly bushings - Napa ceramic pads & Ultra premium rotors - Rotora Stainless brake lines - Extreme Acc. Xenon HID 8k low & 6k high

Dark taupe & Ivory Interior, Factory CD w/Sirius Stratus 4, Power Acoustik 840w 4ch, Boss 200w 2ch w 10" bandpass sub, 2 sets Phoniex Gold Matched comp. speakers

Rolling stock: 16" SE A7w 225/50/16 Kuhmo Ecsta AST - One of the nicest Light Almond PT's you'll find