PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Help! Hard starting and hesitation - Codes 0171 & 0522

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Aug 2008, 04:25 pm
Regular Cruiser

Question Help! Hard starting and hesitation - Codes 0171 & 0522

Hi guys,

Just got my car put back together and drove it about 100 miles. Then the engine light came on...

Suddenly the car is running a bit wierd....

- Car is hard to start, have to crank it for four or five seconds to get her running, and when she does catch, it's pretty rough for about 2 seconds then smooths out.

- Hesitates when leaving stoplights, but then surges forward suddenly

Checked codes today and got these two: 0171 & 0522

Can anyone help with what these codes mean?

Tom

Base '03, Light Almond Pearl Metallic - Modified 2.4 na w/ported head, 10.4:1 compression ratio & Crane #10 camshafts - 4 speed - Energy Poly bushings - Napa ceramic pads & Ultra premium rotors - Rotora Stainless brake lines - Extreme Acc. Xenon HID 8k low & 6k high

Dark taupe & Ivory Interior, Factory CD w/Sirius Stratus 4, Power Acoustik 840w 4ch, Boss 200w 2ch w 10" bandpass sub, 2 sets Phoniex Gold Matched comp. speakers

Rolling stock: 16" SE A7w 225/50/16 Kuhmo Ecsta AST - One of the nicest Light Almond PT's you'll find
Old 07 Aug 2008, 07:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Help! Hard starting and hesitation - Codes 0171 & 0522

I Googled both and could only come up with this one, nothing on the other. Sorry.

Subject: diagnostic trouble code: 0171/0300

Question
Check engine light stays on. scanned for codes. Codes PO171 and PO300 displayed. Chrysler shop manual for generic codes reads, PO171, Left upstream fuel system lean. Code PO300, Multiple cylinder misfire. Car is a 1996 Chrysler Concord 3.3 Eng. 92000 miles. Is this a Bad Oxy sensor?

Answer

The oxygen sensor on the right side could be the cause of the 0171. Other possibilities are the fuel pump/fuel supply line, throttle position sensor, map sensor, engine coolant temp sensor, fuel filter, fuel regulator pressure, or even the controller. But the O2 sensor would be the most likely cause and would probably be the first thing to change. If that doesn't fix it, then there are ways to diagnose the other components. After you replace the sensor, remove fuse #13 from behind the dash for 15 minutes, then replace it. That should erase the fault codes and you can then see which if any reappear. Soak around the threads of the oxygen sensor with penetrating oil/rust remover and let it sit overnight before removal. The new one is torqued in to about the same degree as a spark plug. Be careful not to damage the wires when installing it. It may clear both codes.
Roland

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 08 Aug 2008, 07:55 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Found them both but it looks like you might need help from an OBDII scan tool. ........

P0171 - 1/1 Fuel System Lean - A lean air/fuel mixture has been indicated by an abnormally rich correction factor.

There are a number of possible causes including:

Restricted Fuel Supply Line
Fuel Pump Inlet Strainer Plugged
Fuel Pump Module
O2 Sensor
O2 Signal Circuit
O2 Return Circuit
O2 Sensor Heater Operation
Throttle Position Sensor Sweep
MAP Sensor Operation
ECT Sensor Operation
Engine Mechanical Problem
Fuel Contamination/Exhaust Leak

The majority of tests performed to rule out each component require the use of a DRB III scan tool and or special equipment which most owners do not have, therefore your ability to DIY will be limited. However the diagnostic that I provided will give you some idea on which areas to focus on.

Fault Code P0300 - Multiple Cylinder Misfire

A misfire code in a specific cylinder (P0301-Cylinder #1, P0302- Cylinder #2, etc.) usually indicates a possible problem with a plug or ignition wire. A P0300 code indicates the misfire is random and moving around from cylinder to cylinder. The cause here would likely be something that upsets the engine's air/fuel mixture, such as a major vacuum leak, leaky EGR valve or unusually low fuel pressure (weak pump or faulty regulator).

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 08 Aug 2008, 10:59 am
Regular Cruiser

Question Re: Help! Hard starting and hesitation - Codes 0171 & 0522

Thanks Crewzin!

I did find something on the 0522 code, which talked about low oil pressure. But it's a false alarm - I already know what that is, as the OP is fine.

Sounds like the code 0171 could be something really simple to something really expensive! Fuel pumps are about $300 and labor is high due to having to drop the fuel tank off....Yikes! Dealer told me $900 + if it is a fuel pump!

I'm going to try and disconnect the battery and see if the code comes back. Yesterday on the way home she was running good, and not doing the hesitation when stepping on the gas after traffic lights - even with the A/C on. She is still hard to start though - so not sure about that one.

You mentioned an OBDII scanner - do you know where I can have one hooked up for free? Do Autozone or Napa have these typically? What else will it be able to tell me besides what you already found out about the code 0171?

Thanks,

Tom

Base '03, Light Almond Pearl Metallic - Modified 2.4 na w/ported head, 10.4:1 compression ratio & Crane #10 camshafts - 4 speed - Energy Poly bushings - Napa ceramic pads & Ultra premium rotors - Rotora Stainless brake lines - Extreme Acc. Xenon HID 8k low & 6k high

Dark taupe & Ivory Interior, Factory CD w/Sirius Stratus 4, Power Acoustik 840w 4ch, Boss 200w 2ch w 10" bandpass sub, 2 sets Phoniex Gold Matched comp. speakers

Rolling stock: 16" SE A7w 225/50/16 Kuhmo Ecsta AST - One of the nicest Light Almond PT's you'll find
Old 08 Aug 2008, 11:04 am
Regular Cruiser

Thanks Hooligan...I appreciate your assistance. I found out code 0522 was for low oil pressure, but that was a false alarm (the other morning when she had trouble starting up the OP light came on and triggered the check engine light - but after shutting it off and starting it again the OP light turned off).

I'm getting worried there might be a bad fuel pump. See my response to Crewzin above, hopefully since she is running better the code was a one-off problem. I just put some major cash into this engine, so other problems right now are not a good thing.

Tom

Old 08 Aug 2008, 01:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Don't think the auto stores have the OBDII scanners. Only mechanics at the dealer and private mechanics, but anyone can buy one in fact there was an owner on this forum just a week or so ago asking questions about one he bought.

The scanner can tell you more than the code reader that NAPA and Auto Zone have but you do have to pay for the service and worse you might pay and it won't say any more than the code you already have but you will have the service and expertise of the mechanic that hooked it up.

If you tell them you already have the codes and that's all the reader gives you, they probably/should start looking into other things to help you with your problem.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 08 Aug 2008, 01:33 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Don't think the auto stores have the OBDII scanners. Only mechanics at the dealer and private mechanics, but anyone can buy one in fact there was an owner on this forum just a week or so ago asking questions about one he bought.

The scanner can tell you more than the code reader that NAPA and Auto Zone have but you do have to pay for the service and worse you might pay and it won't say any more than the code you already have but you will have the service and expertise of the mechanic that hooked it up.

If you tell them you already have the codes and that's all the reader gives you, they probably/should start looking into other things to help you with your problem.
Hrm....

Well I wanted to disconnect the battery while I'm at work to see if the code disappears and doesn't come back but I don't have the right tools.

Interestingly I went to Autozone at lunch and they hooked up their reader - obviously they came up with the same thing you did, but the low OP code was gone (0522).

This is what AZ says: P 0171 - The PCM has determined that during testing, the fuel system for bank 1 was too lean. (Bank 1 identifies the location of cylinder #1, while bank 2 identifies teh cylinders on the opposite bank)

TROUBLESHOOTING

Fuel trim bank one condition

Explanation: The powetrain control module uses the oxygen sensor to calculate teh air/fuel ration of the engine. The PCM has recognized a lean condition on one engine bank only.

PROBABLE CAUSES: Oxygen sensor defective, Ignition misfire-repair, fuel injector problem
- END

While I was out at lunch I drove her around a bit, and suddenly she seems normal again. The acceleration is back - with a VENGENCE! The new engine work (Crane # 10 cams, CH porting/decking w/bumped up comp. ratio of 10.0:1) seems to have paid off. There is torque and a fun-to-drive factor I've never felt in my PT before today! Maybe the computer learned how to work well with the engine mods, and it just took 300 + miles to figure it out.

I'll try and take her back to the shop who did my engine tear-down and re-assembly to see what they can do with the codes. Especially if I can't clear it with the power interupption method. - Agreed the mechanics will know what to suspect based on thier experience, plus they can test the sensor output's which I can't do.....right?

Tom

Last edited by THS_Cruiser03; 08 Aug 2008 at 01:48 pm.
Old 08 Aug 2008, 01:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Tom,

Glad everything seems normal again. I'm confused about something though. You just gave us the meaning and symptoms for Code P0170 but wasn't it code P0171 that you first told us that you were getting? They are different in causes and symptoms.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 08 Aug 2008 at 01:44 pm.
Old 08 Aug 2008, 01:44 pm
Regular Cruiser

Crewzin,

Yeah, that's my fault, it's a typo (should be P 0171). I'll go back and edit the post.

Oops....

Old 08 Aug 2008, 01:58 pm
Regular Cruiser

Well I wouldn't say everything is back to normal, because she's still hard to start. That'll defitnitely have to get figured out, but the hesitation seems to be gone now.

P.S. - Crewzin...is your PT engine stock or modified? (besides chrome goodies and such) I love how your PT looks - it's no wonder you've taken trophys with her.

Tom