PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Plug Wires?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Aug 2008, 11:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Plug Wires?

Hello

Does the different spark plug wire make that much of a difference over stock? I couldn't find anything other then NAPA 7.5 mm wires for my 2.4 and it STILL has a skip around 2,000 to 2,500 RPM under load. It'll only skip two or three times but none the less it's there! I'm about to sell, trade or burn this thing! It's a '04 2.4 in a 5 speed Jeep Wrangler, ya I know this is a PT forum, but thought you guy's would know more then the Jeep guy's with their 4.0 sixes! I took it to another dealer (Jeep) today and they said it had a skip to it but didn't have any idea what it'd be. New wires (OE) then NAPA wires, new plugs copper plus, fine wire & platinum +4's the copper plus ran the best. New OE coil, throttle body cleaned three times, four bottles of fuel cleaner. No codes and at wits end over this! I bought this back in March used with 44,000 miles on it, now at 47,000, can't take it any more!!! O2 sensor, fuel cap, cam sensor or crank sensor maybe???? HELP please!

Last edited by Hunter01; 08 Aug 2008 at 11:27 pm.
Old 09 Aug 2008, 06:35 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Plug Wires?

The NAPA wires should be fine. It does sound electrical but you've changed everything that it could be. I think you'd have more problems if the CAM or CRANKSHAFT sensors were bad and they would set off a code. So would the 02 sensors. Does it idle OK, nice and smooth and how about when you rev it in neutral, does it skip when you hit 2K then?

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 09 Aug 2008, 07:46 am
Fresh Cruiser

Ya it'll idle just fine , no up and down nice and smooth. Not sure about if you just hit the gas sitting there if it'll stumble or not, it's more under load when you take off or are going up a hill, working the engine a little. Not a 100% sure but it also feels like it does it at a high phase on the highway but steady?? I was going to try a up stream o2 sensor next, the mechanic I talked with yesterday thought it might be that starting to act up?
Old 09 Aug 2008, 08:13 am
Obsessed Cruiser

It's worth a try but as I said, the sensors usually give a fault code when they go bad. I see you've been reading the other threads and are looking for the capacitor for the coil. I never did find out where that was.

Are your plugs gaps correctly? Chrysler came out with a change in gapping. The new gap in non-turbocharged cars is .040in where it used to be .050in. Might be worth a try. Also look at the color of the plugs, should be ash gray/light brown around the tip is everything is running right.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 10 Aug 2008, 07:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yes the plugs are set at .040 the dealer had set them at .050 come to find out after I'd taken them out to check and see how they looked. I know there was a TSB on the gap setting.
Well went to NAPA and bought a Bosch O2 sensor (up stream) and installed it in the parking lot, wanted to try it on the way home. Man what a difference that made!!!! I took the Jeep to another Jeep dealer before changing the O2 sensor and this time the head mechanic said that there WAS something wrong with the way it runs, he didn't know what it was or what he'd do first and was going to call the Jeep tech hot line and see what they'd come up with. I'll call him Monday and let him know what I found. Still haden't set a code or anything, but the new O2 sensor sure changed the way it runs and has MORE power! Now I wonder about the down stream O2 sensor and if I should change that one as well?
Old 10 Aug 2008, 07:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

One of the mechanics on the forum said the downstream 02 sensor is mainly to check the health of the CAT. It sure wouldn't hurt to change it. It's cheap enough and easy enough to change but I don't think it will help any with drivability.

Glad you found your problem.

Old 14 Aug 2008, 09:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Okay, new O2 sensor and it ran great for two days, then that same old skip was back! Took it to three dealers and tried to trade it in. First dealer wanted to know what I wanted for my Jeep, told him he was the dealer and he should tell me what they thought it was worth. Walked out! Second dealer wanted me to test ride the Chevy truck I was looking at before he'd even talk about a trade, told him I didn't need to drive the truck, I knew what it was, walked out! Third dealer after taking my info told me to have a seat while he went out with his manager to look at my Jeep, I see him wiping the hood with his arm and fist to clean off the rain along with the road grim. That's when I went out and asked him not to do that, he said he didn't, that's when I lost it and told him what I thought, he said I could leave! I did!!!
So tonight I stopped at NAPA and bought a MAP sensor and a new gas cap. Installed the MAP sensor again in the parking lot to test it on the way home, runs great!!! Once home I put the gas cap on and we went out to dinner, still running great, maybe an ever so small kind of skip???? Ordered a air temp. sensor, it'll be in tomorrow. Night before I took the fuel rail out and all the fuel injectors along with the fuel pressure regular out and didn't find anything in any of them, dirt, gum or what ever. Blew them out and reinstalled them???? This 2.4 motor is starting to make me drink! (God Father's) Oh ya, put in a can of Winn's fuel injector cleaner $16.50, dealer wants $200.00 a piece for the injector's NAPA at a $185.00 each. Might try a water temp. sensor next, think my motor only has one water temp sensor for the ECM & gauge. Never any code's, ever!!!!