Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Problems with an '04 Crusier

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Aug 2008, 07:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Problems with an '04 Crusier

This past Friday I began to notice white smoke when I started up my wife's 2004 PT Cruiser. Later I heard knocking and felt a loss of power. Took it to Midas (the only place open on Saturday that I half trusted) and they said the rings are bad and oil fouled the plugs. They told me I need a new motor after only 77,000 miles. They also said the oil and coolant was low though I had the oil changed three weeks ago. had them change the plugs and flush the coolant and I'll take it to my regular mechanic tomorrow.

I'm really hoping the car does not need a new engine. I will say that a few years ago my life let the oil go without changing it and blew up the turbo. I talked Chrysler into replacing it under warranty (don't ask how) but I'm wondering if there was other damage that didn't show up till now.

Any thoughts?
Old 10 Aug 2008, 07:57 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Problems with an '04 Crusier

If you only see oil on start up then it's more likely valve stem seals. They can drip oil down into the cylinder and cause the white smoke. Also a PCV can cause white smoke on start up. If the pcv is stuck a little open it can suck oil into the intake and then the oil works it's way to the top of the valves and when you start it the fuel injectors wash the oil into the cylinders. Those two are the most likely culprits.
Old 10 Aug 2008, 08:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

What about the oil fouled plugs?
Old 10 Aug 2008, 08:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Trust Slartyblarfast's answers rather than listen to Midas. They're only looking to sell you as much as possible including a new engine. Go your your regular mechanic tomorrow and I'm sure you'll find that he'll say it can be fixed way under the price of a new engine.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 11 Aug 2008, 01:20 am
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to Ironman

Well, that's an interesting problem, coolant And oil. It's the same problem I have with my newly acquired 94 cavalier RS (my work beater). I have a rough idle, about 1 and a half quarts of oil ever 3000 miles disappears, and in the same time frame, the radiator come out only 3/4 full with an empty overflow tank. No detectable leaks (no puddles on the driveway, no wet areas on the underside of the engine) and no white smoke. so if I get this figured out before you (which I highly doubt because this car is my daily driver) I will post the problem which might be a clue as to what's happening with you.
Old 11 Aug 2008, 09:30 am
Fanatic Cruiser

The oil fouling is from the oil entering the combustion chamber. Low coolant can come from numerous places. Water pump leaking, thermostat leaking or even the coolant evaporating. The reservoir is open to the air and can evaporate.
Old 15 Aug 2008, 08:14 am
Fresh Cruiser

Here's an update on the car. It was indeed valve seals. The car is still being worked on right now. Are there any newer valve guides or any other improvements I should ask my mechanic about? Any need to seat the valves? I've been told that would involve pulling the head, and so would be an extra cost.

Thanks again!
Old 15 Aug 2008, 08:49 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Taggert_LOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Trust Slartyblarfast's answers rather than listen to Midas. They're only looking to sell you as much as possible including a new engine. Go your your regular mechanic tomorrow and I'm sure you'll find that he'll say it can be fixed way under the price of a new engine.
not all midas locations are looking to rip you off. they are independenly owned and operated. he may very well need a new engine. don't go bashing until all the facts are found. valve seals could just be the start.
Old 15 Aug 2008, 08:57 am
Obsessed Cruiser

My apologies to any Midas, Meineke, Jiffy Lube, Quick Lube, Monkey Lube & oil, Quick Lube and other shops that may be honest and not try and sell customers something they don't need.

Oh Look .....nobody is saying Thank You. I guess there's no honest places left.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 26 Aug 2008, 11:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Okay folks, the valve seals were replaced at the cost of $900. I got the car back a week ago and things seemed okay for about two days, then the dreaded blueish white smoke reappeared upon startup. Also there's been a lot of pinging and hesitation upon acceleration. The shop's had the car back since Friday. There's been no definitive diagnosis but their last report indicated no smoke but some back firing upon acceleration. Any other suggestions as to what's wrong?

Thanks!