Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
MY POOR PT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Aug 2008, 09:14 am
Young Cruiser

Default MY POOR PT

So I took her in to get the timing belt and water pump changed. They are also changing the tension pully.

They told me about $700 which is high, but lower then everyone else.

Well they called me today and told me that the Flow Neck (I think is what he called it) is warped and leaking. He said its the neck where you put coolant into the engine (because it appears new cars dont just fill coolant into the radiator anymore..

Well hes telling me that the part can only be gotten thru the dealer, and its about $130 bucks...

Has anyone had this issue before? I am hearing its a common thing in Chrystel's.
Old 21 Aug 2008, 09:47 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: MY POOR PT

I think he's talking about the overflow container located in back of the engine next to the firewall with yellow flip cap.

I did a search and he may be right about not being available anywhere except the dealer. I can't seem to find anyone selling one.

I would say the price is right (for a dealer only part).

How it got warped, and why it's leaking is a mystery. Your the first one I've heard of.

Most cars have a pressurized system and you do use the overflow container to add fluid so you have to have one without any holes.

When he replaces it, ask for the old part back and ask about the warping and leak.

I will say that it's not a part that a dishonest mechanic would say that you need when you don't. you should be able to see where the damage is.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 21 Aug 2008 at 09:49 am.
Old 21 Aug 2008, 09:51 am
Young Cruiser

Well I dont think hes dishonest because my wife's work has been using him for a long time, and my in laws have also.

I could also tell in his voice that he seemed to be just as upset about it as I was. He told me he made his mechanic show him the issue before he called me.

He actually told me before I asked that he was going to keep the part to show me the issue, and even offered to have me come by at that moment to show the leaking, (but since I am at work 30 miles away that wasnt an option)

I am not real happy, but if its what is needed to keep her runing good, then thats what I need to do
Old 21 Aug 2008, 03:09 pm
Veteran Cruiser

$700 for a timing belt and waterpump is damn cheap. We just paid $900 for the wife's '04 and that was an independent shop. Bite the bullet ion the overfill contaioner. You are still ahead of the game. You have a very reasonable mechanic.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 21 Aug 2008, 05:47 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I know what is happening. I doubt the neck is warped but typically it's just the thermostat leaking. I'm not saying that's what is happening but that has been my experience.
Old 21 Aug 2008, 09:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: MY POOR PT

I would also try having the mechanic show you the place it is leaking. The coolant resorvior is a "low pressure" container. So, the leak must be rather slow - like a crack. If the crack is in a plastic part of that tank, not near any shape, or size dependant location, you could use a torch to heat a long screw driver and simply melt the plastic over the crack - like wiping jelly on bread. I did this on my wife's Grand Marquis, until her new part was in. But, that part was only around $60!

2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 21 Aug 2008, 09:25 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Have you tried a junk yard?

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 22 Aug 2008, 08:32 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Green View Post
Have you tried a junk yard?
No I have not because by what I understand to get to this part you have to take the same things lose that you would to change the timing belt.

Since I dont have the tools to do that in the first place, its easier for me to have them do it.

However he has said he will keep the parts so he can show them to me, so I believe he is being honest.
Old 22 Aug 2008, 02:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

price doesnt seem to be to bad there have been other posts with much higher prices thank yours
Old 22 Aug 2008, 02:14 pm
Young Cruiser

Well I am getting ready to go pick my car up.

By what I understand, (and I will check the invoice when I get it) is the folowing was replaced:

Timing Belt
Water Pump
Tension Pully
AC Belt
Power Steering Belt (I think is what he said)
Flow Neck

The total he infomred me is $834 and some change.

All and all I think he gave me a good deal.