Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
cant remove starter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Feb 2011, 04:38 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: cant remove starter

You have to remove the lower intake support, 3 bolts.

Here is a pic with all the crap out of the way.

A tip to anyone doing their starter, they are about 100$ new from mopar. I would recommend you also change the crank position sensor at the same time because you have to move the starter to get to the crank sensor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0742.JPG (31.2 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg lower intake support.JPG (21.3 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg crossover.JPG (31.2 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg CrankSensor.jpg (58.5 KB, 102 views)

89 Shadow ES 2.5 T2 +20's A555 sold
86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
90 Daytona ES 2.5 T1 A523
90 Datyona Shelby VNT needs work
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2
Old 11 Jul 2012, 06:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: cant remove starter

I've found this thread very helpful, along with other stuff I googled. Just in case anyone else has a 2001 PTC and would like a step by step, here is how I did it:

First off, drive it up on ramps. You won't be able to do this just jacking it up, at least I can't imagine how you could. You need some clearance.

Removed air cleaner box (pulls straight up), battery, and battery platform (5 10mm bolts on that). Now I could easily get to the top bolt (15mm, unscrews from the battery side. Don't forget the ground wire when you put it back).

Bottom bolt - okay, this was tougher. I tried the direct approach, but no room. Tried removing the engine structural collar (when I finally FOUND it), but could only get the three vertical bolts off. Still have no idea how to get the horizontal ones off! But, it was my daughter's car, and she needed it right away, so there was no giving up.

I removed the big hose from the bottom of the radiator, then removed the fan bracket bolts. On her car there were only two on top and two on the bottom, I think normally there's one on each side as well. You'll need a "stubby" ratchet handle (a small, thin one) to get the top left bolt off. Then we carefully moved the whole assembly down so we could access the lower bolt. It's easier with two people, because you have to manhandle it a little to get it over some protruding obstructions, but we did it. Once we got it just below the lower bolt, we didn't try and take it out completely.

Okay, now I could get to bottom bolt. Not much room, but enough to fit a 15mm socket in there and eventually get it off. Now you have to remove the electrical connection. If it's anything like hers, you won't be able to slide the red piece back. Use a small screwdriver on the open front of it - even if you can't really see what you're doing, there's a tab in there that you'll disengage. Push down on that black clip and the whole thing comes off, leaving a square black base. Now you can take off the two wires on that top screw, I think it's a 13mm nut. Remember when you put on the new one: the washer goes between the wires and the starter, not the wires and the nut.

Now pull out the old starter. Put the new one in, and now would be a good time to put both bolts back and tighten. Again, don't forget the ground on the top bolt. Put on the electrical connector, put on the wires, tighten the nut, and bada-bing bada-boom, you got it.

Getting the fan assembly back up is a bit of a pain, but not too bad. No worse than getting it pushing down, anyway. Reconnect the hose, the battery, the air filter assembly, put some anti-freeze in, back off the ramps, put some more anti-freeze in, and you're done!

I hope this helps someone. It took me quite awhile, but if I ever have to do it again I think it can be done in about an hour, maybe 1.5 counting skinned knuckles and band-aids.