Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

cant remove starter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Sep 2008, 04:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to garciaag
Default cant remove starter

no one can tell me how to remove my starter on my 02 pt cruiser. my mechanic told me to drop the fan, the manual i got at advanced auto parts tells me to take off an engine bracket that i cant locate. also i noticed my starter is loose on the bottom. i can get under the car and jiggle it. there is no bolt nut on the top side just behind the cylonoid and no bolt attached on the bottom side. i really have no idea what is keeping my starter in place. i tried to take off the intake to get a straight shot at it but stopped after i took off the top cap coming from the vacum and filter. it intimidated me a little much!
Old 05 Sep 2008, 05:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: cant remove starter

Welcome to the forum.

If you going to do work like this you should get yourself a Haynes Manual or download the FREE PT Repair Manual that is listed on the top section of the Tech & Performance part of this forum.

I can read you the 4 steps on removing the starter but don't think it will help without seeing what they are talking about.

1. Remove the engine structural collar 5 bolts)
2. Disconnect the electrical connectors from the starter solenoid assembly.
3. Remove the starter motor mounting bolts.
4. Lower the starter motor assembly from the engine compartment.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 05 Sep 2008, 10:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have that book and diagrams but when I lift the car don't see where those 5 bolts are. Are they to the driver side or passanger and is there maybe a different way
Old 06 Sep 2008, 06:28 am
Obsessed Cruiser

If it's the same as my 2001, the starter is right in the middle of the front neither drivers nor passengers side. The starter connects to the flywheel on the transaxle so the structural collar has to be there somewhere.

A different way? Maybe, but I don't know of it. Maybe it's time for a professional.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Old 25 Sep 2008, 06:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

so after i looked at replaceing the starter my car didnt have any problems. still no new starter still nothing removed. tightened the cables to the solenoid. started up great. drove it about a week zero problems. went to start it monday afternoon it would not turn over. tuesday morning started on second try. wed started fine all day thursday started fine in the morning. afternoon would not turn on until about the 8-10th try. came home let it sit start no problem, let it sit started with a struggle (battery strain from my afternoon attempts) have been starting and starting with no problem. any ideas? still trying to interpret this damn haynes repair manual on the structural collar...but am i wasting my time and overlooking the real problem
Old 25 Sep 2008, 06:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Sounds like it is time for the dealer or a trusted mechanic to look at it. I know it will cost some bucks, but what else can you do?

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 25 Sep 2008, 06:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Me again. I would have hoped one our professional techs on this forum would have spoken up buy now.

I did a short search on the Internet and it seems your on the right track with either the solenoid or starter itself with the majority pointing towards the solenoid as the culprit.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 25 Sep 2008 at 06:41 pm.
Old 25 Sep 2008, 09:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

id like to think so. i have changed plenty of starters in my life and this is the one that is kicking me in the @$$. ive never had to remove anything but the starter to get to one. i was under the car for 25 minutes looking for the structural collar. driver side passanger i am going to find out how this thing comes off if it kills me. its my first car and i dont want to be a bong retard and have to take it to a tech every time something is wrong with it! especially when i know what it is and how to remove them.
Old 25 Sep 2008, 09:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You can see it from the top. Look over the radiator and down between the fan housing and engine and the solenoid is right there in plain sight. That should give you a good view of how you get to it from the bottom.

A thought just occurred to me. If the fan housing wasn't in the way, you could easily get to the starter and solenoid from the top. Maybe that's how it's done, to give you room to work on it, the fan housing has to come out.

That's a 45 minute job in itself. as the upper manifold has to come off, the upper radiator hose comes off, fluid drained, the front upper radiator support and the horizontal brace bar comes off so the radiator can lean forward and the fan housing can be lifted up.
Old 25 Sep 2008, 10:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

that is what my mechanic said to drop the fan so you get a straight shot at the starter. i thought maybe removing the battery and working from the driver side might work but is that bracket at the front of the car or toward the end. maybe that should be my question because to the driver side is the wheel wall and the oil pan comes to the passanger sidealong with the whole mess of alternator ac and junk. UPDATE still starting it 5:30-10:00 pm no problem.